CNET Editors' review
Rapid Typing Tutor may be a good program to help novice typists improve, but experienced typists looking to increase their speed may be frustrated by the program's interface.
The program contains a series of lessons that scroll across the screen as the user types. Users can choose from lessons consisting of letters, syllables, capital letters, digits and symbols, or text. As each lesson scrolls across, a keyboard diagram shows an outline of hands moving to the appropriate key. Users type through each lesson and are then shown their scores on speed, accuracy, and arrhythmic input. The main problem with the interface is that experienced typists tend to scan ahead in the text they're typing from, focusing on words or phrases rather than individual letters. Rapid Typing Tutor allows users to see no more than a few characters ahead. And since the speed of the scroll depends on the speed of the typist, those who are already fairly quick may find that the blur of text flying across the screen is hard to process visually. Users who are just getting familiar with the keyboard layout likely won't be bothered by this, but they may grow increasingly frustrated as their speed increases.
In general the interface could be more intuitive, but most users should be able to figure it out. Users can create lessons, but it doesn't seem possible to cut and paste text from elsewhere into a new lesson, which is disappointing. Installation and uninstallation are trouble-free. For free software without limitations, this program is a boon to aspiring typists. More advanced keyboardists may wish to look elsewhere.
From Typing Tutor Labs:
RapidTyping Software announces the release of Rapid Typing Tutor, a free software tool to improve one's typing skills. Rapid Typing Tutor helps computer users to learn how to type properly without looking at the keyboard while making keyboard training fun and entertaining. The tool is completely free, and does not cost a dime. Kids, and adults too, can use Rapid Typing Tutor to improve their typing skills through a series of easy, fun lessons. Rapid Typing Tutor is not another boring keyboard training tool. With numerous colorful themes and avatars and a game-like environment, Rapid Typing Tutor makes learning typing fun for both adults and children. A built-in typing game makes learning to type an easy and entertaining experience. The built-in typing game makes training more like a game, not studying. With Rapid Typing Tutor, it's easy to evaluate typing performance at any time by simply looking at charts. Rapid Typing Tutor tracks user progress, and allows students to see their results at any time. The progress and statistics are represented as tables and charts, allowing students to see their progress and become motivated for taking yet another lesson. The statistics displays both typing speed and accuracy, always with a summary at the end of each lesson. Rapid Typing Tutor is absolutely free, and does not have any hidden fees, adware or spyware included. Rapid Typing Tutor is fully customizable, allowing students to plan their own lessons according to their skills and capabilities.
Rapid Typing Tutor offers the complete freedom of learning, allowing students to make their own lessons and plan their studies. There is no enforcement of pre-defined learning plans. Rapid Typing Tutor allows accessing any lesson at any time, from the easiest to the most advanced. Custom lessons are easy to make, too. If there is a need to practice a particular key or any set of keys, it's easy to create a specific lesson to train for those particular keys.To help typists learn how to place their fingers on the keyboard, Rapid Typing Tutor displays a virtual keyboard with zone highlights. This way, typists always know which hand belongs to which zone. To make learning even more fun while teaching students how to type correctly, Rapid Typing Tutor displays two moving hands over the keyboard.
What's new in this version: Version 4.2 added the Greek course; added support for the 680x420 screens; added support screen rotation; added the "blank" lesson background; added the word count in the lessons editor; moved the 'Show/Hide keyboard' option to the user level page; fixed the delay for loading the course on the weak video cards on Windows 7; fixed minimize/maximize bug for left, right or top Task Bar; fixed splitter bug for maximized window.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Calculate body mass index for women.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Calculate your BMI using a chart.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Calculate body mass index for men.
- Calculate body mass index for children.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 150 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"is this a joke"
Version: Rapid Typing Tutor 4.2
i didn't expect a software like this to have problems
it doesn't work
please fix this software
"GOOD ENOUGH FOR NON TEN FINGER USERS"
Version: Rapid Typing Tutor 4.2
SIMPLE ENOUGH FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO TYPE W/O LOOKING ON KBOARD
NONE SO FAR
"virus warning when downloading, stopped."
Version: Rapid Typing Tutor 4.2
none never got to use it
virus warning , from security
cnet check downloads better. shame, shame
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content