CNET Editors' reviewThis pop-up blocker boasts all necessary features and demonstrates pleasing performance. Similar to most good programs of its kind, this one has both a black list for banning all ads from specific sites and a white list for doing the opposite. You also can permit pop-ups on the fly with the simple press of a hot key. PopupDummy sits in your system tray and emits a sound, blinks, and logs a URL whenever it beats down an ad. The variety of sounds in particular is rather impressive, ranging from the crack of a bullwhip to the slamming of a jail door. In our tests the program did a fine job of blocking most pop-ups and Flash ads, though it can't deal with banners. The cookie manager is a nice plus, but the 10-day trial is bit too chintzy in our book. Still, this utility is a better solution than many of the mediocre pop-up blockers flooding the market.
PopupDummy blocks all those annoying pop-up ads from Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape, Adware, and desktop applications using the combined ability of automatic pop-up blocking and Adware or Spyware detection. No setup is needed and it's fully effective. The application features a block list, sound effects, a safe list, the ability to hold down CTRL to bypass, and a cookie manager. PopupDummy also supports blocking pop-ups from Kazaa, Morpheus, Grokster, Limewire, Bearshare, Gator, and Netzero.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Customize your browser and prevent pop-up ads.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Block Internet Explorer and Messenger Service pop-up ads.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Block pop-up ads to preserve your Internet security.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Block pop-up and pop-under windows and surf the Web uninterrupt...
- Block various kinds of pop-ups and erase the tracks of your Int...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Block most Web advertising, remove and defend against malware, ...
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Block pop-up ads before they bother you.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Block annoying Internet ads, such as videos, background sounds,...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Create your own applications for pop-up blocking.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Surf in peace with this pop-up window stopper.
- Optimize your Internet connection and eliminate annoying pop-up...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: PopupDummy 3.293
Takes care of most pop ups automatically.
Some pop-ups (10-20%) identify only as "Mozilla Firefox", so when you add them to black list, Pop Up Dummy blocks the ad, but you must go back and remove the entry, later, to use Firefox. I wish it identified all Pop ups properly.
I am very pleased with Pop Up Dummy. Lifetime subscription is $29.95. The only problem I have with it is minor: I tried to rename (in the subject line) a reply to an e-mail message in Outlook Express. When I hit "send", Pop Up Dummy tried to block it repeatedly. Now, when I send an e-mail, I must disable Pop Up Dummy till I have sent the e-mail. I'm sure this is just a Windows or registry issue, so I would definitely recommend Pop Up Dummy to anyone without a pop up blocker. If a pop up does get through, just highlight it's page info and send it to your black list. Bang. Instant justice.