CNET Editors' review
Plexus Toolbar is a free browser-based search companion that offers several search engines geared toward health and medicine, though its reaction time to requests is slow.
The program places an additional tabbed, nondescript toolbar onto your browser. Although we're glad to see options to change the bland color and fonts, they don't work. The program utilizes numerous search engines including Google, MSN, Yahoo, Ask, MamaHealth, and Healia. You'll find features for modifying toolbar configurations and organizing tabs so you can determine which engines appear on the bar.
We're amazed that the program can conduct a single search across the board, retrieving results on each search engine, but the launch time of the pages is sluggish in most cases. Current news feeds from several RSS aggregators including Doctor Plexus, the CDC, Physician Referral Network and FDA MedWatch are conveniently placed on Plexus Toolbar. Plexus Toolbar has an added pop-up blocker and features to clear the toolbar's previous searches. Despite slow launching, Plexus Toolbar is a great add-on for those in the health and medical field.
From TMA Guild:
The Plexus Toolbar is a free resource to help healthcare providers save time while using the Internet. This free resource from DoctorPlexus.com incorporates health specific search engines tailored for the medical professional. Customized news feed integration allows you to be alerted in real time regarding the latest in medical research, advancements and protocols.
The Plexus Toolbar provides the ability to use a single search term across several search engines, databases and health related Web sites. Google.com, Google News, MSN.com, Yahoo.com, Ask.com Healthcare specific searches from:Medline Plus,American Medical Association, National Institutes of Health,Centers For Disease Control and Prevention, Kosmix.com, Healthline.com, Healia.com, MammaHealth.com, MedStory.com. News Feeds via Dr. Journal of the American Medical Association, Centers For Disease Control and Prevention, FDA MedWatch,US Food and Drug Administration.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Search the Web quickly with more than 100 search engines.
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Access various search engines easily with an IE toolbar.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Search the Web easily based on entered keywords.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get a toolbar for searching torrents using various search engin...
- Block pop-up windows and get quick access to Internet search ri...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search Google products with over 100 top search engines.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Block pop-ups and listen to Web radio with more than 200 search...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Get a toolbar for easy Web surfing, listening to online radio s...
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Surf the Internet.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Use a toolbar that has feature for helping Cancer Research grou...
- Get access to search, radio, weather, pop-up blocker, and word ...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"IE7 & Vista issues! Spyware?! Won't Uninstall?! 2 windows open?! JUNK!!"
Version: Plexus Toolbar 1.5
Cool idea...I had high hopes for this, but...
I encountered a number of real issues with this:
1. In IE7 it doesn't show the various tabs it shows in the screenshots. It's almost as if the lower half of the toolbar (with the tabs) is covered by the IE7 tab bar.
2. When you start up IE7 after installing this toolbar it will cause 2 (two) IE7 windows to open up...2 separate windows at the same time. One that points to the internet and one that points to a folder on your C drive.
3. The Uninstall built into the toolbar does NOT work. Instead IE7 locks up and you get a message to close it.
4. I started getting spontaneous POP-UP advertisements for the first time in the history of this new computer. I'm pretty sure there's spyware with this great idea!
5. My CPU usage went to 100 percent. Upon inspection of running processes I discovered a half dozen of what appeared to command prompts running in Task Manager (even though none were actually running). This seemed to correlate with the 3 times I closed and opened IE7 trying to rectify the various problems.
6. To get rid of it, I had to restart the computer, remove Dr. Plexus in Add/Remove Programs (it was listed there), and then I upgraded all of my anti-spyware (Ad-Aware and Spybot) and ran full scans. I found over 100 pieces of spyware on the system, but I cannot say for sure if any of these were from this toolbar.
Still, I would strongly suggest you EXERCISE GREAT CAUTION WITH INSTALLING THIS TOOLBAR.