CNET Editors' review
If you're looking for a full-featured image editor at a relatively low price, Pixelmator fills the bill nicely. Sporting a smooth Mac-friendly interface, Pixelmator offers a layout much like Adobe Photoshop with separate toolbars offering standard selector and paint brush type tools, a color-picker, a layer manager, and a brush picker with large array of options, from "follow direction" to multiple jitter settings. Pixelmator also has support for Adobe Photoshop brushes.
Also like Photoshop, Pixelmator comes with all the image manipulation tools you might need for adjusting color, saturation, brightness and contrast, and many more. If you want to add effects to your images, you can pick from several different common filters like distortion, blur, sharpen, halftone, and stylize, along with more esoteric filters like clouds and noise. Essentially, Pixelmator gives you a lot of the same tools, effects, filters, and capabilities (like save for Web and trim) that you would find in Photoshop, though you won't find many of Photoshop's more advanced tools.
Perhaps the biggest difference most users with above average image editing needs will notice is Pixelmator's price ($59). It's important to note the demo version watermarks all your images, but once you see the amount of features this app has, you probably won't mind paying for all that functionality.Pixelmator - Create, edit, and enhance images on your Mac - Download Video Previews:
From Pixelmator Team:
Pixelmator is an image editor for Mac OS X that allows you to create, edit, and enhance your images. Interface designed for work with images, layers-based image editing, use over 20 tools for selecting, crop, painting, retouching, typing, measuring, and navigation. Use over 15 color correction tools, use over 50 filters, adjust image size and resolution. Transform images, layers or selections using transform tools, fill and stroke images, layers or selections, photo browser offers quick access to iPhoto Library, events, albums, smart albums, and pictures folder. Use your iSight camera to add pictures to your compositions. Includes automator actions for converting, resizing, enhancing, adding special effects, and transforming images. Image processing is powered by core image and open GL.
What's new in this version: Improvements
- Improved performance and stability for the following graphics cards: Intel GMA 950, Intel GMA X3000, Intel GMA X3100, ATI Radeon HD 2600, and ATI Radeon X1600
- Adds the ability to turn off default document opening in PXM format by typing the following command in the Terminal: defaults write com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator alwaysUseNativeFormat -bool no
- Resolves an issue that prevented using Pixelmator as an external editor in iPhoto a... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Download, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Recover lost photos from hard drives, USB drives, memory cards,...
- Recover lost photos, documents, audio and video files.
- Retrieve images from corrupted or formatted memory cards.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Turn your photos and other still images to vivid slideshow with...
- Convert digital photos into slideshows, DVD movies, digital col...
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 23 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Thought it was fine until..."
Version: Pixelmator 2.0.5
I was quite enjoying this little app until it simply disappeared a valuable image.
No warning, no nothing - there one moment, gone the next.
I used Pixelmator for the first time in a couple of months this morning - and the same thing happened, luckily with an easily-replaceable image.
Random image-loss is unforgivable, particularly with Lion, which purports to autosave as you go along - a trait I loathe btw, along with the incomprehensible decision to ditch 'save as' and pursuit of eye candy in place of functionality.
I cannot tell whether this is a bug or not - neither does Pixelmator, apparently.
All Pixelmator-users beware - use ONLY with dupe images.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content