CNET Editors' review
Your mother uses AOL Instant Messenger. Your spouse prefers MSN. Your office insists on Yahoo. What are you going to do? You could run all those chat clients at once, or you could use Gaim, now renamed Pidgin. Like Trillian, Fire, and other third-party IM clients, this open-source messaging application lets you access multiple IM networks from one window, including Google Talk and MySpaceIM as well as lesser-known protocols such as Jabber and Gadu-Gadu.
Pidgin's biggest change is the redesigned interface. The Buddy List can be viewed in Basic or Advanced mode, and the most important features, including the Plug-in List, have been graduated from the Preferences window into their own panes. Twenty-two plug-ins come prepackaged as Pidgin repositions itself as a highly extensible chat client.
The IM features are unimpeachable: smileys (you can find tons of emoticons on the developer's site), file transfers, and multiperson chats. The Buddy Pounce feature lets you automatically perform certain actions (play a sound, execute a command, open an IM window) when a contact signs on or off. Pidgin also gets lots of intangibles right: logging and time-stamping, for instance, are well-executed and easy to access. However, it lacks IP telephony and video conferencing, and there are still some bugs--most notably in the Help menu. Still, Pidgin remains a highly recommended text-only messaging app.
Pidin (formerly known as Gaim) is a multi-protocol instant messaging client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM (Oscar and TOC protocols), ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr networks.
Pidgin users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.
Gaim supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer (coming soon), away messages, typing notification, and MSN window closing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, and more.
Version 2.2.0 adds a certificate manager, MySpaceIM support, XMPP improvements, and various bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 2.2.0 adds a certificate manager, MySpaceIM support, XMPP improvements and various bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Repair, remove SIM restrictions from, and unlock various cell p...
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Run multiple Skype accounts on the same computer.
- Capture, edit, print, and share photos and videos from your Web...
- Open, view, and extract data from TNEF-encoded messages.
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Input the Instagram user name and download all his photos with ...
- Download pictures from Instagram to your PC.
- Chat with all your Facebook friends directly from your Desktop.
- Access your Facebook account quickly and easily.
- Unlock your mobile cell phones.
- Instant translate from and to any language.
- Launch multiple Skype sessions and sign on accounts.
- Receive Facebook notifications, messages, friend requests direc...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 282 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Good and Light"
Version: Pidgin 2.2.0
It has a very clean and easy interface even for e brand new Novice on computers.You can login to your accounts with maximum use of 18Mb of Ram.Everything is easy to understood in the menus. U dont Have video or calls but its ok, if you are talking to more than 4 contacts i dont think that you can use camera and voice for all of them.I m in Love with this program. Its close to perfection , very good work from the programers
I d like to see in future some kind of voice
Version: Pidgin 2.2.0
I've been using this client for quite a while and I'm very impressed by the interface, plugins, and the effectiveness of this chat client because it suits my needs without all the bloatware and mess (aim 6&up) I would recommend this to anyone who is searching for a simple, multiclient chat program!
It disconnects sometimes due to bad proxy server and also takes a while to direct connect. You also can't see the process of transferring when through an IM window.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content