CNET Editors' reviewThough this is a highly specialized and useful piece of software, its design and speed aren't exactly 21st century. PiSystems is designed for scientists and advanced chemistry students to help calculate the electronic spectra and colors of organic molecules. This is a large program that takes a while to download, and, once it's loaded, installation is slow. The interface, though not visually stimulating, isn't well-designed, either. During testing we noticed there is no way to scroll or zoom into displayed molecules; what's more, windows often stack up on top of each other, making it a bit of a digging exercise to find a display. Excel-like tables display most chemical data. The program toolbar offers plenty of mouse-over hints on discovering the function of each button. To draw a molecule, you must open a "molecule input" window (from the taskbar); once your sketch is done, apply the "idealize" feature. Calculations are rapid and the program allows for plenty of input or changes. The trial version allows for 20 uses, which may be of limited use for small projects.
This is the fastest, most reliable, and most user-friendly quantum-chemical program for the calculation of electronic spectra and colors of organic molecules as well as for support of synthetic science. A tour is available on the Web site, and special prices are available for educational use.
More Products to Consider
- Dispense with your handheld financial calculator.
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Balance, search, or solve equations by one mouse click.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Calculate your electricity costs and avoid overpays.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Calculate loans and debt with financial calculators with an amo...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Compute your current profit or loss.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Use a professional printer-friendly calculator with automatic m...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Calculate your loans completely and precisely to the penny.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Perform various calculations and conversions.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Compute time between two occasions and the new occasion.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Get estimates even with numbers like approximately 160 or possi...
- Perform calculations in various scales of notation using stack ...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"PISYSTEMS is easy to use but not nearly as accurate as claimed."
Version: PiSystems XTE
Easy to use and has some clever ideas
The results computed can vary significantly from version to version. Many assumptions have to be made about atom centered hybridization which can have significant impact on results. Imputed solvent is not specified; this can be a source of significant uncertainty.
I have been doing dye modeling for 25 years and have used all levels of theory from Huckel to TDDFT....
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: