CNET Editors' review
OsiriX for Mac displays data obtained from medical equipment such as PET, CT, and MRI scans in up to five dimensions. The trial edition, which serves as a base for the certified version, is equipped with everything a medical professional needs to look at scans and interpret them. There is even a patient database for keeping track of multiple individuals.
Even though OsiriX for Mac will run on pretty much any hardware, having a multiprocessor machine will produce better results, especially when working in three or more dimensions and using advanced features like 3D tissue rendering. When adding patient records, you can either copy all the information to the database, or just link to it to save disk space. The database, itself, can be searched, filtered, and sorted, and reports can be generated for each patient. Individual entries can be shared via e-mail, DVD, or by manually exporting them out of the application as video material or as DICOM files. Other notable features are the anonymization of records, wireless transmission of data to another instance of the app, and full support for plug-ins that extend the app's capabilities.
If you're a medical student or practitioner, you should definitely try OsiriX for Mac; it's an app that forms the foundation for the FDA-approved edition used by many medical institutions. But if you're a casual user who just wants to see what medical software looks like, this app might overwhelm you.
OsiriX is an image processing software dedicated to DICOM images produced by medical equipment (MRI, CT, PET, PET-CT, ...) and confocal microscopy (LSM and BioRAD-PIC format). It can also read many other file formats: TIFF (8,16, 32 bits), JPEG, PDF, AVI, MPEG and Quicktime. It is fully compliant with the DICOM standard for image comunication and image file formats. OsiriX is able to receive images transferred by DICOM communication protocol from any PACS or medical imaging modality (STORE SCP - Service Class Provider, STORE SCU - Service Class User, and Query/Retrieve) .
OsiriX has been specifically designed for navigation and visualization of multimodality and multidimensional images: 2D Viewer, 3D Viewer, 4D Viewer (3D series with temporal dimension, for example: Cardiac-CT) and 5D Viewer (3D series with temporal and functional dimensions, for example: Cardiac-PET-CT). The 3D Viewer offers all modern rendering modes: Multiplanar reconstruction (MPR), Surface Rendering, Volume Rendering and Maximum Intensity Projection (MIP). All these modes support 4D data and are able to produce image fusion between two different series (for example: PET-CT).
Osirix is at the same time a DICOM PACS workstation for medical imaging and an image processing software for medical research (radiology and nuclear imaging), functional imaging, 3D imaging, confocal microscopy and molecular imaging.
Osirix supports a complete plug-ins architecture that allows you to expand the capabilities of OsiriX for your personal needs! This plug-in architecture gives you access to the powerfull Cocoa framework with an easy object-oriented and dynamic language: Objective-C.
What's new in this version:
- 3D Engine updated to support high dynamic voxels
- Auto-Layout graphic user interface
- New 3D ROI reconstruction: 3D iso-contours
- KDU 7.3.3
- Better support for multi-monitors configurations
- Several bugs corrections
More Products to Consider
- Manage your e-book library and sync to reader devices.
- Medical DICOM viewer/converter.
- View satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, geographic...
- Google Maps desktop client for Mac.
- Classic typing instruction software.
- English-Urdu dictionary.
- Powerful mathematical language for performing scriptable tasks.
- Kids' artwork program with iLife integration.
- Synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a specific mood or exper...
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- High-quality scanner driver with support for several manufactur...
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Mathematics teaching and visualization tool.
- Interactive equation editor for Office, etc.
- Symbolic computation software.
- A simple recipe manager with customizable ingredients lists.
- General medical image manipulation and analysis application.
- Modeling, rendering, animation app.
- Recipe, wine note & cooking note organizer.
- Make annotated DNA maps and design primers.
- Four 3D FxPlug plugins for Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express and...
- Improve your English language skills.
- Scientific graphing, curve fitting and statistics.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 14 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1