CNET Editors' review
This is not a flashback to the chart-defying tricks of ambient house music progenitors The Orb, although if you have their music you can use this Orb to play it anywhere. No, this Orb melds module-based personal portals with your hard drive's media content and lets you stream it to almost any Internet-connected handheld device.
The setup will probably be challenging to users who aren't familiar with how to open ports, but, fortunately, there's plenty of help in Orb's user forums. Once you're good to go, the program launches in your browser and you can choose whether you want your video module to be front and center, how wide your music module should be, and if you really need yet another weather widget.
Uploading your media files is a time-consuming and tedious process that could be greatly improved upon. After that, you can "MyCast" them. MyCasting is what Orb's publisher calls Webcasting when done with its program. If your home PC has coaxial access, you can stream television, as well as photos, video files, and music.
By circumventing the need to reload media files on a second machine and having the handheld connection, Orb seems pretty nifty. The system requirements, though, are stringent, and the upload process is slow-going, making this a useful product with room for improvement.
From Orb Networks:
Orb provides the ability to MyCast. MyCasting gives the user instant access to photos, music, videos, live television, and other digital content on their home PC at anytime and from any internet-connected device, such as a mobile phone, PDA or laptop. Orb is first of its kind to allow consumers mobile access to all of their digital media. It is completely secure while having no restrictions in its use. Using any web browser, Orb allows user to connect to their home computer and the ability to stream digital content located on their PC. Version 2.00.08 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, and bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Convert your MP3 files fast and easily.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Convert FLAC audio files to MP3.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Convert WAV files to MP3 format.
- Get flexible audio and video playback with access to smart orga...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Convert WMA/WMV/ASF files to MP3.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 22 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Pefect and Amazing"
Version: Orb 2.00.08
Orb is amazing. Its not a total control software- you can't view your computer but you can grab certain files. It automatically sets up defaults e.g. it will put your my music folder for the music files- which means if that is your music folder you don't have to do much, if its not you can delete it and add your own. You can access it from any computer with internet (as long as the computer doesn't block it- e.g. some schools may block the site). This means you don't need to install the software on the other end. Watch your videos, listen to your music, look at your photos and access your documents. You can even stream your webcam live! And finally you can create mulitple accounts and give them certain access, so friends and family can go on.
It doesn't allow full remote control- I wan't to be able to look at my computer and do things on it- so I have to have a seperate software for it- with remote control it would be perfect. It can also be slow, so limit what you leave on your computer when you go out.
"WOW I didn't know a free program could offer so much"
Version: Orb 2.00.08
Why buy a sling box when this program does everything it does and more for free? It will stream to computers, the nintendo Wii, and smartphones.
I didn't find it sooner. It does not work with PSPs.
"Brilliant! Access media files remotely"
Version: Orb 2.00.08
This software is awesome. You set up a small application on the computer you want to access. Then log on to the orb website and you can access media files and even documents remotely from any computer in the world. Simple and Brilliant. Great customizable portal web site. Speed is fairly good(if you have a broadband internet connection on both ends). Cool sharing feature where you can set up playlists and share them with your friends.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content