is a free
stand-alone application, requiring zero-installation
now PowerPC and Intel native that is based on the proven open source GRASS GIS 6.3.0, which is a complete Geographic Information System (GIS). GRASS has been in development for over 25 years and is one of the 10 largest open source projects in history. Jeshua of OpenOSX is proud to be the first one to have ported GRASS to Mac OS X public beta six years ago.
GRASS 6 includes a "GIS Display Manager" with layers, a vector engine capable of handling 2D and 3D vector data, an NVIZ 3D interface allowing volume (voxel) capabilities, 3D and 4D visualization, and the ability to integrate database management systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, DBF and ODBC. GRASS can import and export most popular geo-spatial file formats and includes tools for photo-orthorectification, image classification, re-projection, geostatistics, spatial data analysis and much more.
What's new in this version:
- Native Mac OS X interface
- Ability to switch between native interface and X11 interface
- 3,400 improvements and fixes over the 6.2.1 version, representing 2 years of development
- The capability to read files in the Mr. Sid format
- A newly OpenOSX developed command to launch Quantum GIS (QGIS) enabling full GRASS support
- A much-improved OpenOSX "QuickStart" with a simple tutorial
See all new features »