CNET Editors' review
Office users who have been waiting for browser-style tabs need wait no longer, thanks to DeTong's Office Tab Free Edition. It adds Web browser-like tabs for displaying multiple open files in one window to Office 2003, 2007, and 2010. The tabs do more than display multiple documents, though. They also enable enhanced file browsing, management, and editing. It adds Workbook Tabs for Excel, Document Tabs for Word, and Presentation Tabs for PowerPoint. The fully functional add-ons are free to home users. The paid upgrade includes some advanced features that are unavailable in the freeware, though.
Office Tab's installer lets users choose whether to associate the add-on with all or any of Office's tools. While Office Tabs works inside each individual tool, the Office Tab Center serves as a control console for each add-on's settings, which include General & Position and Style & Color options. The Help button opens the program's Web page, which offers numerous resources, including tutorials. Making changes required us to reopen our Office apps. We started with Word. The most noticeable change was the addition of the tab bar, which displayed our open document and a button to open new tabs and can be positioned above or below the workspace. These tabs worked just like browser tabs, and we could click on any tab's label to access a full menu of choices. We clicked Office Tab on the toolbar to access the Favorites and Options on the ribbon, including a button to show and hide the tab bar. We could also open the Office Tab Center, add tabs to Favorites, and organize the Favorites list. In addition to shortcut keys, we could also reposition documents on the tab bar by dragging and dropping them. Office Tab also adds functionality, such as the ability to open new documents and close or save existing ones with various mouse clicks.
Office Tab adds very similar functionality to Excel and PowerPoint, with app-specific options. The browser-like features Office Tab Free Edition adds to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are so useful that we recommend this free add-on to all Office users.
From Detong Technology:
The software is free for Personal Non-Commercial use. Users can free distribute, install, copy, backup, or upload the software to computers or websites. Free Office Tabs - Tabbed Browsing, Editing and Managing for Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 and 2010. Works with all editions of Office: Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional Plus, Professional, Standard, Home and Business, Home and Student... Unlike web browsers -- Internet Explorer 8, Firefox or Chrome, Microsoft Office does not use a single window to hold multiple files for viewing and editing. The product lines of Office Tab improve the ability of MS Office, and bring the tabbed user interface to Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 (include Word, Excel and PowerPoint). 1. Open, read, edit and manage multiple Office documents in a tabbed window, 2. Using tabs for switching between documents. 3. Easy to use, just like IE 8, Firefox and Google Chrome. 4. Without filling your desktop with new, unorganized Office windows. 5. Based on Microsoft Office Standard Add-in technology. Save all documents in one click! Easy determine which file has been changed, which has been saved: Office Tab will mark these modified documents or workbooks with an asterisk (*) in their names to indicate the modified documents or workbooks (except in PowerPoint). You can close a tab by double-clicking the left button on it. You can close a tab by clicking the middle mouse button once. "Close All": close all files in the tabbed windows (a confirmation dialog box will appear when you choose to close all files). "Close Other": close other files (exclude current file) in the tabbed windows. Quickly Rename. This function is different from "save as", once "rename" is applied, the document file under the original name does not exist anymore.
What's new in this version: Combine 32-bit and 64-bit supports into one single installation package, so that users don't need to know whether they are using 32-bit or 64-bit of Microsoft Office 2010.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Calculate body mass index for women.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Calculate your BMI using a chart.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Calculate body mass index for men.
- Calculate body mass index for children.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 15 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Office Tab Free Edition 8.5
Works great! I can't believe Microsoft hasn't incorporated tabs into it's programs already.
It's obvious in the settings that this was written by someone who's first language is not English. The program works great, that's just a tip for the editor.
"It is very good"
Version: Office Tab Free Edition 8.5
This is prefect software
I like it very muck
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content