CNET Editors' review
Once you explore the power of NoteTab Light, you may find this text editor beautiful despite its hectic interface. At its core, NoteTab Light is to Windows' Notepad as an iPhone is to a rotary phone. NoteTab Light incorporates top-level tabs similar to most Web browsers, so that you can manage several different projects at once, and it can automatically replace Notepad so that Notepad's icons open NoteTab instead--although not in Windows Vista.
However, it's more than a mere replacement. The left column displays a list of commands, called Clips, that do anything from inserting bits of text to generating code. Each library, the roster of which appears as tabs at the bottom of the screen, contains its own set of clips. The FTP library, for example, lets you create server profiles, connect, upload and download files, and issue various commands. The HTML library auto-completes HTML tags. The publisher's site offers many user-created libraries, or you can make your own. You can create your own clips by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2.
Several of the clips, including the Tidy HTML clip and the TopStyle library, require secondary freeware apps to support them, but NoteTab will direct you to their Web pages if it finds them missing. NoteTab Light isn't a tool for casual users, but power users and programmers should find plenty to love.
From Fookes Software:
NoteTab Light is a versatile free Notepad replacement and a handy HTML editor. Move quickly around stacks of large files with a simple tabbed interface and format your text to your heart's content. Perform system-wide search and replacements. Strip HTML tags. Build libraries of text macros to speed up your work. Avoid tedious cut-and-paste operations - save text clips automatically in Paste Board files. Make the most of NoteTab's options to suit your workstyle.
What's new in this version: Version 7.1 has fixed occasional failure to scroll last line into view.
More Products to Consider
- Edit text and HTML documents of any size.
- Inspect and edit any file, main memory, or disk/disk image.
- Edit plain text files, HTML documents, PHP, and Java code.
- Edit several programming languages running under the MS windows...
- Download files faster and safer with your Web and Windows appli...
- Compile, debug, and run Java applications on your computer.
- Replace the standard Windows Notepad with an advanced tool, fea...
- Utilize PHP and ASP syntax highlighting with this HTML editor.
- Develop and deploy Java applications on desktops and servers.
- Open any text file, edit it, then send it with this multifeatur...
- Enable Entity Framework against relational databases and create...
- Edit HTML/XML and PHP script.
- C/C++ compiler and IDE.
- Edit text and view images with this unique editor.
- Run and develop applications targeting .NET Framework.
- Convert one or more RTF files to Microsoft Word files.
- Write multiple programming languages or just keep notes for you...
- Create and design any Web site possible, with no programming re...
- Search and replace text and binary files using regular expressi...
- Edit text and source code with spell checker, code templates, a...
- Hex edit, cut, copy, paste, insert, fill, and delete binary dat...
- Edit your Web pages with this unique and simple Notepad-style H...
- Deploy TurboC, TurboC++ for Windows 7, Vista.
- Write better-quality code, reduce security-related issues, and ...
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 367 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"It has a lot of extra functions that are very useful"
Version: NoteTab Light 7.1
I like it very much. I wonder why I had not use it before as I should. I am going to start using it more. It has a good set of useful functions, many not regularly available in text editors. It is a very good program to have. I use EditPad Lite, but at some point I might start using NoteTab Light as my default plain text editor. I will continue to use MS Word as my main word processor and CesarUSA Text Editor BS2 as my secondary word processor/editor until CesarUSA.com releases new versions of text editors such as the CesarUSA WordProcessor, which would work with Doc and Docx files and have autocompletion in multiple languages.
It has some features that are for programmers, not really for the general public. It might take a little bit of time to learn some of the features, but many of them are a or two click away. It has an Untilities menu, but the menu items do not have tooltips that tell you what the features do.
"Great product, simple and powerful."
Version: NoteTab Light 7.1
NoteTab Light is everything the CNET Editors' review says.
NoteTab Light is a great product, simple and powerful.