CNET Editors' review
MediaCoder provides all the tools needed to convert audio and video clips, but it also adds a level of complexity that audiophiles will love. Casual users, however, will be confused and should steer clear.
The program's interface was helpful but also baffling. While it walks you through the setup process, it does so online, which was a bit odd and certainly different. Nevertheless, it coordinated the program setup in a few easy steps. We were able to convert our audio and video files into corresponding formats like MP3, MP4, AMR, WAV, and a few others. MediaCoder works with a single button, though the conversion took several minutes longer than we expected for a 6-minute file. Regardless, the results contained all the data of the original, with the media specifications we requested. The program offers a ton of special features that are great for the audio obsessive but a bit overwhelming for the casual user just looking to convert some files. Its head-spinning array of options are a dream for serious AV lovers and include everything from adjustable bit rates to picture and sound quality settings, and all with descriptions heavy on the jargon and technical terms,--just how they like it. Those seeking a simple, hassle-free converter should look elsewhere, but for users looking to customize files, MediaCoder is perfect.
MediaCoder is freeware.
MediaCoder is an open source universal audio/video batch converter, which puts together lots of excellent audio/video codecs and tools from the open source community into an all-in-one solution, capable of coding among different audio/video formats. With many extra features and expandable architecture. MediaCoder is more than a GUI of a bunch of command line tools.
More Products to Consider
- Burn the files and images on CD and DVD discs.
- Emulate up to 18 DVD/BD drives.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Rip CDs, convert audio files, and burn discs easily.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Burn CD, DVD, and Blu-ray discs.
- Convert and backup DVDs to AVI, DivX, iPod, iPhone, iPad, WMV, ...
- Download YouTube videos and convert them into MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Convert FLAC audio files to MP3.
- Convert between WAV and mp3, wma, ogg, and FLAC.
- Convert audio between formats such as MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, M4A, ...
- Set up a virtual sound card that lets you broadcast/record/conn...
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Play video and audio files in various popular formats.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Burn all your photos, videos, music, and data to CDs, DVDs and,...
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 53 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"A Good Converter But Bad With Ads"
Version: MediaCoder 0.8.1.5185
-Converts MOST Of Media Files Excellently
-Bugs And Hangs
It Maybe A 4.5 / 5 If This Isn't A Nagware / Adware. But Since It Has A Bug PLUS Nagging Everytime It Converts 10 Videos, I Gave A 3 Stars.
Version: MediaCoder 0.8.1.5185
Fast transcoding of video files
Fairly straightforward to use
Sometimes 'hangs' at the last few frames of a video file and takes awhile to finish the job (typically showing 5 seconds remaining).
The website makes it clear that the installation file includes 3rd party software (open candy) and when installing you have the option to "not install" open candy. In other words "watch the screen and read the text".
Excellent free software that handles everything I've tried it with.
Version 0.8.1 Build 5200
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content