"Works, but buyer beware."
Version: MediaCoder 0.8.26.5566
Works well, at least for audio conversion from FLAC to MP3. I've not tried video conversion.
1. Not freeware, it's nagware (displays ads using OpenCandy).
2. For a minimum contribution of $25 the software claims the nags will be removed. Only after paying does the author tell you that the ads will reappear if you run the software without a constant internet connection. The only place where one can discover that a constant internet connection is required is on the page about the premium version.
3. When asked about this the author's suggestion is to pay an extra $130 (at the time of writing) for a USB dongle that will have to be plugged in whenever the software is used.
4. When started without an internet connection a popup appears notifying the user that some functionality will actually be disabled if there's no internet connection.
5. Requires admin rights to be successfully "authorised" with the purchased user ID.
There are apparently some proprietary converters in the software, but otherwise it doesn't do anything that can be done with actual freeware, such as Avanti, though it may cover more formats than the freeware options.
Reply to this review
Was this review helpful?