CNET Editors' review
Feature-packed: LiveSafe is a hefty 170MB, but that's no surprise, given its many features. These include antivirus, spyware, and home-network protection, as well as a built-in firewall. Cross-device protection is available for both Android and iOS.
Beyond malware: McAfee has also packed in storage and management tools, including a password manager, a device-management console, and protective measures against phishing attacks.
Multiplatform: Once installed properly, SafeKey works across browsers, provided you have the extension installed.
Fragmentation: McAfee offers separate services and experiences without many breadcrumbs to inform users of other services' existence. Device management could have been integrated into LiveSafe Internet Security's native app; there's no obvious outbound link from the program.
Uninspired design: From a functional perspective, McAfee is touch-compatible. But whether it's touch-form-friendly is debatable; the UI's overall use of text and pseudo buttons makes for a confusing experience. Despite taking an original direction compared to Windows 8's more colorful, flatter approach, McAfee's attempt comes off as semi-dated with its heavy text and awkward blocks. It's stuck in design limbo.
McAfee holds a high standard in security and protection, especially against viruses and malware, but LiveSafe's other services are not as user-friendly. The UI is sometimes cluttered and disorganized -- it's hard to keep track of which service/feature is where. Some features like Personal Locker are only for a select group of users. The pseudo-James Bond way of accessing your files via Webcam and mic is cool but a novelty. Never mind the "biometric" layer of security: This adds an extra step to users accessing their files, whereas we'd prefer a back-end security update. And uploading passport photos and sensitive financial documents to the cloud is not a good idea, even with government-class protection. LiveSafe's efficacy as a PC guardian is firm, but the attention demanded by McAfee's other services may leave you feeling more confused than safe.
The McAfee LiveSafe service enriches your digital life by securing your data, identity and all your devices. Connect with confidence using the latest hardware and software security innovations, specifically designed to fit your digital life. Easily enjoy a safe online experience no matter what you do or where you are.
Protect all your devices
Secure your data
Keep your identity private
Enjoy exclusive benefits
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Stop viruses and spyware automatically before they reach your c...
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and trojans...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Worthless as anti-virus/anti-malware"
Version: McAfee LiveSafe 2014
None, nada, zip
My new Dell came with a one-year subscription to McAfee LiveSafe. Within one hour of running my new laptop, supposedly protected by McAfee LiveSafe, my laptop was infected with a virus. Had to install another free anti-virus (AVG) to remove it. Then I immediately removed McAfee from my system. What good is an anti-virus software that doesn't actually keep you from getting viruses? Save your money and stick with the free products that actually work.