CNET Editors' review
There are so many great Web browsers available today that the superpower struggle between IE and Netscape sometimes seems as distant as the Cold War between the U.S. and U.S.S.R. We recently became acquainted with Maxthon, a free browser that offers some unique advantages, such as its Dual Display Modes, Ultra and Retro. Maxthon automatically switches between Ultra Mode, which uses WebKit to render up-to-date sites, and Retro mode, which uses a legacy engine for older sites built with earlier tools. It also offers safe browsing; toolbar apps like notekeeping, translations, feeds, and screen capture; mouse gestures; smart drag-and-drop; autofill; multisearch; and ad and pop-up blockers.
Maxthon installed very quickly, a good start. Its tabbed interface, customizable toolbars, integrated search field, and Favorites menu give Maxthon a familiar feel that we quickly enhanced by importing our bookmarks, something Maxthon can do from IE or any HTML-based browser bookmark file. Like all contenders in the increasingly crowded browser field, Maxthon's look and features can be customized to suit your needs and moods. The highlighted Safe icon indicated we were visiting a validated Web site; clicking it opened information about the site. The Ad Hunter feature worked quite well, blocking ad pop-ups on the most annoying sites we visit without blocking content we wanted to see; in any case, it's easy to toggle on and off via an icon on the bottom right. There's even a mute button built into the lower frame to quickly silence noisy sites. In fact, Maxthon offers a full complement of features and options, and everything we tried worked well.
Now, on to the dual-mode browsing. It's, in a word, cool. To our knowledge, this is a unique capability that worked very well. A small square on the address bar changes from a yellow lightning bolt to a blue graph icon to indicate which rendering engine is in use. Browsing to a Web site rendered with WebKit tended to make the difference obvious, with crisp graphics that loaded with lightning speed. We could switch manually between Ultra and Retro Mode, too, for Web sites that didn't render perfectly in WebKit. Try it for yourself and see what makes Maxthon different before the others catch up.
From Maxthon International:
With Maxthon quickly and easily navigate WebPages, browse the Web as you like. It features sync and see favorites anywhere, mouse gesture, ad hunter, magic fill, and maxthon multi search. Block annoying advertisements and popups before they strike. The Ad Hunter is faster and more powerful than anything in its class. Securely save, review and manage all of your website usernames and passwords on one screen. Magic Fill will also pre-fill your username and passwords for your favorite websites. Compare search term results across Google, Yahoo, Bing and others. Customize Multi Search by adding additional search engines yourself.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebook, and other sites ...
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Browse the Internet using a Chrome-based browser with automatio...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Browse eLibraries (*.ero) in an easy, efficient, and fun way.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Browse the Internet with this simple and easy-to-use web browse...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 93 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Maxthon 184.108.40.2060
Super clean user friendly (Could do without the sidebar by default)
Tab page is nice a well designed
Good features such as AdHunter, User Sync, RSS Reader, Screen Capture, Notes, System monitoring
Really responsive with startup, shutdown and page loading
Security is pretty good
Passes with flying colors on a lot of benchmark tests
Can use and sync your desktop with the android version of Maxthon
Clicking home button opens a new tab each time (Annoying)
Tab behavior sometimes wants to open up websites in a different tab, rather than using current tab (Would be better on memory if it didn't behave like that)
Extensions support is extremely lacking (Would like WOT extension the most)
Needs to be on more platforms (Mac, Linux, iOS)
Needs a bit more customization
Maxthon might be considered "The underdog" to others, but it's actually a sleeper browser....A browser that isn't well known or used, but is the best out there. Maxthon has come a long way, but does need to fix a few thing's, the thing's that you have read in the Cons area. If they worked on all the Cons I have listed, there wouldn't be anything wrong with it....It would be the perfect browser. On an end not thought, try Maxthon out...It is an excellent browser aside from the cons it has, and I think you'll be surprised how much you like it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content