CNET Editors' review
Lego Digital Designer gives users the chance to play with Legos without paying for Legos. Loaded with features, the drawbacks are minor and this program is a lot of fun to use.
The program links to the Lego online store, but there's more going on here than corporate shilling. The graphics-intensive program seamlessly zooms in and out, rotates your point-of-view 360 degrees, connects bricks to each other, rotates them, and moves any hinges they might have so you can explore how your pieces fit together. Parts include basic bricks, model jet engines, and infrared sensors. The Brick Palette puts all your bricks in one basket, so to speak, so that managing them is no more difficult than keeping track of more than two dozen subpalettes that catalogue the variations.
Seventeen prebuilt models are included to help beginners. You can place your model against a cheesy 3D background, save it, take a screenshot, explode it only to have it reassembled on the next mouse click. There's an option to watch an animated guide on how to recreate whatever complex design you just built. In addition to all this, you can send your model to Lego.com to share with other Lego builders.
The user interface for Version 2 is a big improvement, although some controls could be more intuitive. The app chows on RAM, so those with older machines should be prepared for serious slow-downs if they can get the program to run at all. Still, it's a great facsimile for replicating the fun of Lego bricks digitally, and since its free it's the cheapest Lego experience you'll ever have.
From Lego Systems:
Welcome to Lego Digital Designer, also known as LDD. With the free Digital Designer software you can build absolutely anything with virtual Lego bricks right on your computer. Then you can buy the real bricks to build your creation online in Lego Factory, or you can print out an inventory of bricks and take it to any Legoland theme park or LEGO Store.
What's new in this version:
- Delivery: With an ever expanding list, we now handpick and deliver customized sets to 21 countries. Check out if yours is on the list here .
- A Fresh New Box: With our new box-designer, you will now create a High-Quality box to house the pieces of your custom models.
- (NEW) Building guides: With advanced software we are now able to print and include step by step Building Guides... enabling building in any desired location.
- (NEW) Browser Integration: On the ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Transfer PDF files and objects to OneNote.
- Concatenate and extract PDF files.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- View all the Fonts installed on PC.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Get a graphic tool that provides a standard for typesetting mat...
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- Plot geographic information system data.
- Create assemblies up to 60 parts and design product parts on PC...
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Apply text watermarks to your pictures.
- Write PDF documents from any application.
- Batch Convert PDF to MS Word DOC, DOCX, DOCM, RTF formats.
- Convert PDF files to JPEG, BMP, PNG, and TIFF files easily.
- Create and deliver rich multimedia and dynamic Internet apps.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.
- Create Flash interactive maps in WYSIWYG environment.
- Convert Flash movies between SWF/EXE formats.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"stop buying legos, download this program"
Version: Lego Digital Designer 3.0.9
Really nice concept, the entire brick palette is at your fingertips and get your creative brains going !!
buggy program, takes a lot of system resources. my computer has a pentium D 2.66GHz and 1.25GB RAM and it lags
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content