CNET Editors' review
KeyLemon logs you in to your computer by using your face. More than just a glorified Webcam tool, it regularly checks to make sure that it really is you using the computer. The latest version of the app also comes with a neat Firefox plug-in called LemonFox, for added protection when logging into Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Once installed, the program's Wizard will walk you through creating a profile of your face, and link it to your computer's log-in. From there, KeyLemon defaults to checking the Webcam every 10 seconds, although you can always bypass it with your text-based log-in. If the face in front of the Webcam isn't yours, KeyLemon locks the computer--but not before taking a photo of the hijacker. KeyLemon will also lock the computer if it detects that nobody in front of the computer. You can change how often it checks the Webcam, create multiple profiles, toggle the log-in feature on and off, set it to run at start-up, and create your own skins. Just like the main program, the LemonFox plug-in opens to a tutorial to get your started and it uses the Webcam to prevent unauthorized access--at least on the computer that has KeyLemon installed. Hopefully, LemonFox will be able to support more Web sites in the future.
KeyLemon was largely, but not completely, problem-free. The most common software issue occurred when waking the computer. It would occasionally not recognize the face in the front of the Webcam. Also, it crashed the computer when jumping from the laptop dock to undocked mode. The biggest problem though was lighting. If the lights on your face are too strong, the program can't discern your features and it won't function. Overall, though, it seems like a solid software tool for adding an extra layer of security to your computer. Just don't expect it to fully replace your text-based or fingerprint log-in.KeyLemon replaces passwords with your face:
KeyLemon is a simple solution to log on to your personal Windows/Mac account by using your face. If your computer has multiple users, the software automatically logs you into the right account. When you leave the computer, it will automatically lock it and then unlock it when you are back. KeyLemon also tracks your face evolution by saving automatically one image day after day. You can then export and share this movie with your friends.
On Windows, Firefox users can also access Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter accounts more easily using face recognition. There is no more need to remember usernames and passwords to access.
What's new in this version: Version 2.6.4 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug-fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Add a POP3 Server to your desktop for various communication nee...
- Get notified to the email alerts and create custom notification...
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Stay notified whenever there is a size change in the mailbox.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Receive email alerts for your outlook.com, live.com, or hotmai...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Integrate MailEnable with Microsoft Outlook.
- Integrate MailEnable with Microsoft Outlook.
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Chat with friends on MSN, Facebook, Yahoo, MySpace, AIM or ICQ,...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Manage and control all e-mail services.
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Run multiple Skype accounts on the same computer.
- Manage and control all e-mail services from your PC.
- Record stunning HD quality videos from YouTube, Webcam, webinar...
All versions:2.9 stars
out of 30 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Handy software, but very delicate and tedious."
Version: KeyLemon 2.6.4
- very easy hands-free login, even without touching the keyboard
- is secure and has never let anyone else log in
- is easy to understand and use, no technical knowledge required
- you need to buy the full version to have decent recognition and features
- struggles to recognise you at different lighting levels (different places and different time of day)
- takes some time to register the login: sometimes typing the password would take less
I recommend this software (even the free version) but you have to be patient when it doesn't work. You're probably better off with fingerprint recognition if you can afford it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content