CNET Editors' review
Practice isn't just the way to get to Carnegie Hall; it's also the way to become a good typist. KeyBlaze Free Typing Tutor from NCH Software can help you learn touch-typing or practice your skills. It offers basic lessons, drills, and speed tests suitable for typists ranging from absolute beginners to keyboard jockeys. It's easy to use and effective, too.
The KeyBlaze installation wizard offers three optional downloads, which we didn't try but thought sounded useful: FastFox, a typing expander that can create and store keyboard shortcuts; TextTally, a word counter; and Express Scribe, which assists voice transcription. We entered a User Name and a words-per-minute target and selected the optional initial skill test in the setup. The main view resembles a typewriter, with a standard keyboard image below a blank entry field. We had selected the initial test, which involved typing in a series of tongue-twisters at normal typing speed. KeyBlaze sounded an alarm whenever we hit the wrong key, and it illuminated our mistakes in red. Clicking the Exercises tab called up the main categories: Basics, Keyboard, Keypad, Practice, and Speed Tests. A prominent Stop button on the toolbar let us stop a test quickly at any stage. Clicking the Results tab displayed our User name and WMP and let us view and manage our Goal WPM, High Score, and Test Results as well as choose the next exercise. The Tools tab let us import exercises, create Reports, and configure Options, the latter selection offering General, Sounds, and Reports tabs. Clicking Basics opened an HTML-based instructional explaining the basic principles of touch-typing.
KeyBlaze is great for beginners, but it has more to offer to those who already know how to type. The lessons are easy to understand, getting progressively more difficult to master, and effective, with immediate feedback that helps users quickly overcome bad habits. Practice makes perfect, or at least an improvement; KeyBlaze is a great place to start.
From NCH Software:
KeyBlaze is a typing tutor software program designed to assist with learning how to speed type and touch type. The software allows you to start with basic lessons such as Home Keys for index, middle and pinky fingers and practice lessons including poetry, prose and drills. KeyBlaze also features a typing test where the duration can be set to one, two, five or 10 minutes. It has typing lessons for home keys, neighbor keys, and case. Practice exercise categories include revision, drills, prose, and poems, colored guide for next key on keyboard, finger guide shows appropriate finger to use for the key, and quick and easy operation.
More Products to Consider
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Display subliminal messages on your desktop.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Read the CBR files.
- Convert ePub, HTML, XML files to PDF file.
- Calculate Muslim prayer time and Qiblah direction anywhere in t...
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Draw graphs for mathematical functions.
- Translate documents, web pages among 53 languages, and access 1...
- Learn to read music and play solfege through assisted practice.
- Get a unique learning experience for technical books and course...
- Get Hindi meaning of English words, definitions, examples, and ...
All versions:1.5 stars
out of 8 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"The Download Came With Serious Adware or Worse"
Version: KeyBlaze Free Typing Tutor 2.0
I think the actual software may be just dandy but -- and this is the second, maybe third time -- the download installed a few difficult to get rid of programs. One was blecko tool bar or whatever it is called. This was included the last time a few weeks ago I downloaded something cnet installer assisted with. The other was a virus scanner that refused to stop scanning, would not uninstall. finally uninstalled it with revo uninstaller.
See Pros for the CONS. No need to repeat it here.
CNET installer has some problems or the software it reviews has been taken over by add on's, spyware, who knows what. Not everything but it seems to happen more often lately. Needs to be seriously looked at.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content