CNET Editors' review
KeePass Password Safe Professional Portable stores secure (i.e., long) passwords and cryptographic keys in a secure database and recalls them with a single master password or key-disk (such as a USB drive). With KeePass, you no longer need to memorize long alphanumeric passwords, or, worse, keep using the same unsecure, easy-to-remember passwords. KeePass Portable is just like the installed version, only it runs from a thumb drive or similar device without installation. It's a great way to back up your KeePass Pro installation since you can open and view your password database on any compatible PC (Windows 98 to 8). KeePass Portable v2.23's updates include a password quality algorithm for evaluating password strength and an improved System Tray menu.
KeePass Portable's plain but efficient user interface is in keeping with its mission to make something complicated as easy as possible. If you have an existing KeePass database, you can just open it in KeePass Portable, but if not, step one is to create a new database, which you can do from the File menu or toolbar. The Create Composite Master Key wizard evaluates your new password for strength and lets you enter a key file or provider plug-in, if needed. KeePass can also use Windows User Account Data, but read the notification carefully if you choose this option! If you're not sure about this (or any) step, clicking "Help" will open the browser-based KeePass Help Center.
After some setup choices (click Tools/Options to change them) our database opened with sample entries displayed. A sidebar categorized passwords under General, Network, Internet, Windows, Homebanking, and E-mail. Each category can hold as many passwords as you need. You simply select the password from a list and click to Edit it or double-click to open a menu including an Auto-Type option that enters the password wherever the cursor is resting. KeePass Password Safe Professional Portable works well on its own or in tandem with the installed version.
From Dominik Reichl:
KeePass Portable is a password manager which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key-disk. So you only have to remember one single master password or insert the key-disk to unlock the whole database. Databases are encrypted using very secure encryption algorithms (AES and Twofish).
What's new in this version: Version 2.23 has included 'password quality' estimation algorithm and added 'Generate Password' command in the context menu of the KeePass system tray icon.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Record the activities of others on your computer.
- Stores sensitive information in an encrypted database.
- Store your passwords in encrypted databases.
- Store your passwords in single database locked with master key ...
- Store all your most sensitive and valuable information.
- Recovers password to internet content.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Recover lost passwords for any MS Access database.
- Recover lost and forgotten passwords.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content