CNET Editors' review
Island Racer is a racing game for those who don't need hard-core vehicle simulations. You drive a car through a variety of tracks, including off-road, and nudging your opponents off the road not just allowed by encouraged. Island Racer installs on Macs easily. There is a Lite version, which is free but limited, while the full copy will cost you $4.99.
Island Racer lets you choose your car silhouette and color, and then gives you a third-person behind-the-car view as you steer around the tracks. Island Racer can generate track and scenery in real time, so each track can be different. The graphics are good in a cartoonish manner but not outstanding, although some of the vehicle damage images look strange. The problem we had with Island Racer is simply that once you've steered through a track or two, the playability goes down because they all start to look and behave the same. There's not enough variety for long-term enjoyment for most people, and the physics and damage modeling are too simplistic for hard-core race simulation fans. There is an online competition mode that may be more thrilling for many.
Island Racer is a mixed bag. It's good for a few runs, but we suspect boredom will set in after a few races. Of course, this kind of racing game may be exactly what you are looking for, so the free Island Racer Lite version is worth a try if you like racing games.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Island Racers 2.5.3.
A casual racing game full of fun that can be played solo, against the computer, or online against another player.
Island Racer features the unique ability to generate new original landscapes and tracks, offering infinite track combinations for a new experience with every race.
Select from different cars and colors to race in head-to-head competition. Choose an On- or Off-Road track and enjoy!
Crashing into the opponent is allowed to gain an edge. You will find Island Racer easy to play and full of exhilarating moments.
What's new in this version:
- New look and user interface
- Resizable window with native fullscreen
- Linux version now available
- Minor bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Sims 2 game update.
- Play a one-act interactive drama.
- Epic adventure battle game.
- Use peashooters, wall-nuts, cherry bombs and more to mulchify z...
- Realtime strategy game.
- Play solitaire with 3D effects.
- Real-time strategy game.
- Save the human race from invading aliens in this fun arcade-typ...
- Fly various missions or fly against your friends over the Inter...
- Borderlands 2 saved game editor.
- Version 1.1 Update for Spider Man 2 Third-person action adventu...
- Tile-matching solitaire with 3D layouts & many game types.
- The Hardest Action Game You Will Play This Year (no, seriously)...
- Pacman clone with 50 challenging levels.
- Adventure game to explore worlds and build structures.
- Solitaire card games with handcrafted artwork.
- Outline home plans, lay out furniture & view the results in 3D.
- Create and play realistic jigsaw puzzles on your Mac with your ...
- Popular house life simulation game.
- Organize, visualize and maintain your family history.
- Embark on an epic adventure that will take you beyond anything ...
- Atari 2600 emulator.
- Audio recording & editing software.
- Build and operate your own zoo.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content