CNET Editors' review
Microsoft Image Composite Editor (or ICE) is a multiple image assembler that allows you to quickly import images to generate panoramic photos. You just simply have to drag and drop photos into the application, and ICE will automatically scan and combine the images to create a seamless, high-res panorama.
Despite its long, complicated name, Microsoft Research's app is simple and straightforward. You aren't required to prepare photos or perform any complex ordering. ICE automatically scans each image to determine the best method of stitching images together, both vertically and horizontally. Although I didn't expect it to perform any photographic miracles, I was indeed impressed with how fast it performed and how well it preserved the final quality of the resulting image. Photographers who want to document the world and share their grand vision will come to appreciate its robustness, as ICE supports hundreds of photos together in a single process. Knowing its capabilities, ICE did give me peace of mind the next time I went to take a large panoramic photo.
Other goodies include direct sharing with friends in 3D via Photosynth, Microsoft's wraparound photo-publishing platform. What makes this impressive is that you can create Street View-like images and 360-degree "photo tours."
Microsoft Research's ICE is available for the stellar price of free, but it doesn't offer official support.
Microsoft Image Composite Editor is an advanced panoramic image stitcher. Given a set of overlapping photographs of a scene shot from a single camera location, the application creates a high-resolution panorama that seamlessly combines the original images. The stitched panorama can be shared with friends and viewed in 3D by uploading it to the Photosynth web site. Or the panorama can be saved in a wide variety of image formats, from common formats like JPEG and TIFF to the multiresolution tiled format used by Silverlight's Deep Zoom and by the HD View and HD View SL panorama viewers.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Stitch photos together to create high-resolution panoramas.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Speed up design work with screen capture tools.
- Add frames to your digital photos for your projects in a simple...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Restore old and damaged photos from your family archive by remo...
- Create Flash slide shows with photos and music.
- Organize, annotate, and share your digital photos.
- Make people in your photos look nice.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Let your photo editing ambitions soar on the big screen.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and customize photo slideshows.