CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
If you've ever used SoundHound (or its arch rival Shazam) chances are good you were holding your phone out to identify a catchy song whose name you didn't know. Now the company is introducing Hound, SoundHound's little sibling, but one with a slightly different identity.
Instead of helping name that tune, Hound for Android and iPhone prompts you to search for a song or artist with just the spoken word. Unlike SoundHound, the abbreviated Hound won't accept singing, humming, typing, or recorded sounds.
The results pull from SoundHound's music database, displaying album or artist art, a YouTube snippet, tour dates, an info page, a shortcut to the digital music store, and lyrics when they're available.
Like its big sib, Hound is a polished, slick-looking piece of software that offers a variety of useful information about songs and singers. We demoed it on both platforms, and for the most part, the app was fast, especially when fulfilling more-specific requests for an artist or song. The iPhone version delivers the extra benefit of hooking into the iPod music player, to plays those songs you may already own.
Since the app focuses on rapid, voice-driven music search, its uses are also more narrow. As a standalone app, it's functional and attractive but not as broadly applicable as the free SoundHound and premium SoundHound Infinity apps, both which go beyond this lighter app's functionality.
While Hound has its immediate uses, the app also lays the groundwork for SoundHound to step into other categories of voice search, which will bring it into more direct competition with companies like Google, Nuance, and possibly Vlingo. That's a smart move for SoundHound to expand from the algorithm-honed Sound2Sound database that powers these apps in the first place, to other implementations for its so far superior aural processing. Hound is a good start, but we're already looking forward to what comes next.
Hound is instant music search with your voice: speak it, get it. If you love the famously fast music recognition in the SoundHound App, you're also going to love Hound: now you can just say the name of a song or band you already know to get instant gratification: Lyrics Song previews and full length videos Artist top songs, tour dates, and bios Instant sharing to Twitter and FacebookHound will revolutionize the way you search for music. No need to type or tap, just hound it. It's easy: - Tap the Hound button.- Speak immediately and clearly, into your phones microphone. You can say a song and artist like "Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars." Or you can just say a band's name or a song title: "Mumford & Sons" or "Fall for You."- After speaking, tap the Hound button again.- (Power user tip for even faster response: you can also press and hold the Hound button, speak, and then release the button.) Hound can be your "wow" voice search app:- When your best friend or favorite DJ tells you about a band and you need to know more: just say the band's name to get their tour dates and bio, or say a song's name to grab those lyrics you missed or buy the track.- When you need instant sharing to Facebook or Twitter: just say the name of a band or song then tap the big "share" button. Note: Thank you for downloading and using Hound, a free, ad-supported app. We are growing our database daily and we love feedback. If we don't seem to have a song or artist you're looking for, or if you have any other suggestions, please let us know through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.Recent changes:v 2.8.41. Added new and updated translations for German, Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, Russian, Chinese, and many more.2. Some code and graphics optimizationsAs usual, if you are having trouble, please don't hesitate to contact our awesome customer support!Content rating: Low Maturity
What's new in this version: v 2.8.41. Added new and updated translations for German, Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, Russian, Chinese, and many more.2. Some code and graphics optimizationsAs usual, if you are having trouble, please don't hesitate to contact our awesome customer support!
More Products to Consider
- Sync iTunes playlists, rate music and build playlists directly ...
- Play the video in various formats.
- HD video player is the easiest android phone player, has a powe...
- YO. This is AutoRap. It turns speech into rap, and corrects bad...
- Mix and scratch 2 MP3 files on your Android device.
- SYBLA TV Sybla TV brings you the best Arabic and international ...
- Identify music FAST with SoundHound.
- Turn your phone into a wireless camera! Supports Windows, Mac a...
- Bass booster will make your Android listening experience like n...
- Hollywood Movies.
- Identify music tracks, store them, and buy them.
- Madrid Bernabeu Chants is an unofficial app that lets you liste...
- Unlimited Music. Everywhere.
- Play almost any type of digital music files with Wide/Reverb/X-...
- New songs every day. This app shows you 50 new songs released i...
- This app includes 621 public domain hymns and songs for the Hoc...
- ## Can play and browser MP4 File on your device.## You don't ne...
- Listen to your favorite islamic singer on the go. More than 25 ...
- Play audio and video files with this cross-platform player.
- Bass Booster - Equalizer - Volume Booster - 10 Presets.
- Manage and play your media on the Android device.
- Listen to audiobooks and podcasts on your Android device using ...
- Download and share videos across Android, PC, and Web.
- , hutos, , , , , , , , , cotton, , baby, Kid, video.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content