CNET Editors' review
Pop quiz: What's the difference between ID3v1 and ID3v2? And don't say "one." The reason we're asking is simply to help you decide if you need an advanced ID3 tag editor such as Hanso Tagger. Suppose we rephrase the question: Do you have any MP3s? If so, then you have ID3 tags, which are the metadata saved with each file: artist, title, album, time, and so on. ID3v1 saves basic data. ID3v2, which is incompatible with ID3v1, is the "new" format (since 1998). It saves more stuff, such as album art, but it's also totally customizable; you can create your own tags and call them whatever you want. They'll even show up in compatible devices.
Which brings us back to Hanso Tagger. This free ID3 tag editor is easy to use yet also quite complex. It's designed to provide maximum flexibility to cover every tagging need for even the largest music collections. It can fill in missing ID3 tags, too. In cleans, corrects, and synchronizes tags, and also copies two ways between ID3v1 and ID3v2. It can export tag data and even your tag options. The program's user interface is both sleek and utilitarian, with a gridded FileName display and numerous controls and options in a compact yet well-rendered and semiopaque dialog box.
Clicking Help opened the HansoTools Web site, but Hanso Tagger's page only offered an overview. That's one of the reasons we asked about your comfort level with ID3 tags: Hanso Tagger has a lot of options. Custom Format Options, including Filename Format, Directory Format, and File Rename options. Export Tag Options; Correct Case Options; Copy Tag Options. Even the setup process opens the Program Preferences for choosing background and highlight colors (we like the dark orange on black) and all that's before you even start editing your collection.
We definitely recommend Hanso Tagger as one of the most powerful and flexible ID3 taggers ever to bring order to the chaos of an overflowing music collection. While experienced users will get the most out of it, Hanso Tagger has plenty to offer novices, too, including some lessons in ID3 tagging!
Hanso Tagger is a must audio tool for the keen music listener created as a convenient solution for organizing vast music collections. The program was thought out as a complex, yet, easy to use, tagging tool to help you avoid misplacing music files or having a hard time managing your music preferences.
Hanso Tagger's tag processing capabilities cover far-reaching needs and are easily accessible to all-range users. Using an easy-to-work-with interface, Hanso Tagger carries out a bunch of various tasks - it fills in missing ID3 tag fields like title, artist, album, genre, year using portions of filenames, downloads ID3 tags via popular services like Amazon and FreeDB, exports available tags for a backup or additional processing, imports ID3 tags from a database through a CSV file (for this, Internet connection is required).
The range of formats supported by Hanso Tagger is very large (MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, FLAC, APE, WV, M4A, AAC, MPC) and the program makes possible working simultaneous with all of them. For needs involving creating playlists, renaming files, sorting out folders, exporting info to multiple formats and more, Hanso Tagger is one of the best available solutions - tasks such as editing files, playing files, enqueuing files in winamp, loading images are made extremely easy and enjoyable.
What's new in this version: Performance improvements, bugs fixed.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
- Edit MP3 tags, find covers, and organize your music collection.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Add metadata to your music files.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Edit Mp3 tags in a spreadsheet with automatic filling in.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Organize all your music files in order and have them clearly ta...
- Process music files with a far-reaching metadata manager.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Rename music files using tag information, edit tags, find infor...
- Write and edit MP3 tag info in batch mode.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Add various user interface and playback enhancements to Windows...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Organize your music collection by creating and editing file tag...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Organize your music collection.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Browse, catalog, and burn your collection of audio files.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"I use it with good results"
Version: Hanso Tagger 2.0
would recommend this to other people. It is a pretty good tagger!
Not much, does the job...
Version: Hanso Tagger 1.6
It seemed straightforward at first.
It only appears to have the ability to even recognize files if they're already in mp3 format, and even when I started with mp3 files, it still wouldn't use them.
It doesn't deliver as promised, and I the all 5-star rating seems to have been too good to actually be true.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content