CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. In addition to the sale price, this application requires a subscription to access the turn-by-turn navigation. A monthly subscription costs $9.99.
The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application.
In addition to the sale price, this application requires a subscription to access the turn-by-turn navigation. A monthly subscription costs $9.99.
CNET Editors' review
Gokivo seems to do it all: search for destinations, pair with Bluetooth, play iTunes songs and fade out and in when dictating directions, and deliver turn-by-turn navigation. In our road test, it just didn't perform all these functions uniformly well. The app possesses the navigation basics, plus those one or two surprises with iTunes and shaking the app to get alternative routes. You can switch between map, satellite, and hybrid view thanks to Google Maps, and can specify your route preference, like fastest, and variables to avoid, like carpool lanes. We like the address book tie-in to get directions to a contact's place.
Bluetooth pairing worked with both in-dash and auxiliary sets, and so did the embedded iPod control interface, which automatically paused the song to robotically deliver directions, and then resumed. However, while the songs blared, the voice prompts were barely audible, even when we jacked up the volume. At low speeds in dense urban environments, Gokivo occasionally lost track of our location at intersections, but quickly righted itself once we started moving.
For an additional $9.99 a month to use the navigation service, Gokivo does offer a lower entry cost than traditional navigation units--and one that seamlessly connects to your iPod library. However, keep in mind that subscriptions add up. Over the long term, a dedicated navigator could come out cheaper in the end, even with regular map updates. And if your Wi-Fi or data network goes down on the iPhone, the app could leave you stranded. However, Gokivo offers the convenience of a single device and access to your iPod. In total, we think this app needs more work to beat the emerging competition.
From Networks in Motion:
Gokivo Maps+ Powered by Yahoo! Local provides users with one-touch access to geo-centric searches with ratings and reviews that have been composed by millions of users. Gokivo Maps+ is designed with Apple's native look and feel for quick maneuvering. Easily find your way with real-time turn-by-turn visual and voice-prompted directions whether travelling by car or on foot. Traffic alerts give you a heads-up on your next move: --- simply shake to detour allowing you plenty of time to reroute your trip. Enjoy your music library while navigating. Before voice-prompts are announced, the music volume automatically lowers for upcoming turn notifications. View rich 3D moving maps to quickly display the location of an address or point of interest. Pinpoint your current location and map every turn of a trip while staying connected sharing geo-coded locations with friends --- without leaving the app.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read the CBR files.
- Combine together maps, satellite imagery, GPS tracking, instant...
- Plan your US and Canada trips.
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- Access information about Indian Railways from your Windows 8 PC...
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create, convert, and plan your route for trip.
- View Bing maps in 3D, tour and save collections to video.
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Draw, edit, and print basic maps.
- Customize your Google Earth experience with enhanced map layers...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content