CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
If you're a fan of Garfield, you know that he's a big fan of food, especially lasagna. In Garfield's Defense: Attack of the Food Invaders for iOS, he's charged with defending his beloved lasagna and more from alien food invaders. While the graphics of the game were top-notch, the gameplay itself was awkward and quite boring.
Fans of Garfield will immediately recognize the graphics, which were taken straight from the popular comic. The premise of Garfield's Defense is pretty simple: As Garfield (or, if you choose, one of his friends), you're tasked with guarding a refrigerator full of food from alien invaders.
As you rack up points, characters are unlocked. For example, after completing the first stage, Sheldon was unlocked, along with a brief description that let us know his strengths against the enemy.
Tapping the screen moved Garfield backward and forward. On our first go, we charged ahead and encountered the invaders, which each had a life status bar on top of their head to let us know how close we were to defeating them. As we charged, Garfield started throwing forks at the invaders, but we had no control over his cutlery-throwing skills; all we could do was move backward and forward. And, eventually, we were overtaken by invaders and they got to our fridge full of food.
While playing the game, tips pop up on the screen that are supposed to clue you in on ways to summon friends, such as popping popcorn (confused? It made no sense to us, either). But we really weren't sure of their relevance; for example, following a tip, we summoned Sheldon, but we weren't sure why or what to do with him.
On the main menu, the Options feature lets you turn the sound off and on; there is also an introduction that gives you a little story background. The More Games feature lists more Garfield-related apps that you can download for free. What we would have liked to see was a better explanation for how to play the game and how to use the tips to our advantage. As a fan of Garfield, we really wanted to love Garfield's Defense, but, sadly, there was nothing about it that made us want to come back for more.
From Web Prancer:
Garfield's Defense: Attack of the Food Invaders is an action strategy game. The main aim of the game is to save the food items from alien food invaders. The Alien Food Invaders are almost as dangerous as they are ridiculous. They want to capture all food to build lethal fighting vehicles which they'll use to take over the Earth. They convert food into weapons. Garfield's Defense combines siege and defense styles into an epic action strategy game in which you defend Jon's fridge from waves of increasingly tough and zany attackers. You control Garfield, Jon's overweight, lazy and generally mischievous cat. This normally un-heroic hero will fight tooth and claw to defend his food from the invading menace. Garfield has various weapons at his disposal, including forks hurled with meatball-skewering accuracy, rolled-up reinforced newspapers, and a launcher capable of firing a dozen cheap plastic toy cars at once.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Play 425 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Showcase various prizes on the screen.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play a free RPG indie game.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- 3d truck racing game.
- Create your own text adventures (interactive fiction).
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Play through a whole career of wrestling matches featuring a va...