CNET Editors' review
Free Studio bundles DVDVideoSoft's numerous free video, audio, and image tools into a versatile suite. Despite its many choices, a well-designed control panel makes it extremely easy to access just what you need.
Free Studio requires at least 278MB of free disk space, quite a substantial package for freeware. The check boxes that set the developer's Web site and search engine as defaults were already selected by the installation wizard (can't blame them for trying); we unchecked them, of course. Free Studio's unique interface is one of the most sensibly designed we've seen. Aside from its attractive 3D graphics, it's laid out in eight large buttons accessing important features: YouTube, for Web video; MP3 & Audio, for your tunes; CD, BD, DVD, for ripping, burning, dubbing, and converting; DVD & Video, for playback; Photos & Images, for your pictures; Mobiles, for cell phone vids and apps; Apple Devices; and 3D, for making 3D videos and images. A slider button on top of Free Studio's interface toggles the animated intro on and off.
We were curious about the 3D items, so we started there. The 3D button accesses two tools, Free 3D Photo Maker and Free 3D Video Maker. The photo tool seemed very easy to use, but it requires 3D glasses to view images, which we didn't have handy, so we moved on to the Mobile selection, which offered a page full of small apps designed for specific brands, formats, and devices, such as Android, Nokia, Samsung, Sony PSP, XBox, and Nintendo. Each shared a simple, wizard-based interface, as did most of the other tools bundled in Free Studio; for instance, the disc-burning section contained not only audio and video disc burners but also video and audio conversion tools like Free Audio CD to MP3. The DVD & Video section offers 10 tools for recording, converting, dubbing, and sharing video. Some tools, such as the 3D video and photo apps, show up in more than one section, which we think is fine since it makes them more accessible.
DVDVideoSoft's multimedia tools are easy to use and good performers. We'd like to see links to a Help file or other assistance for the individual tools, though we encountered nothing confusing or unclear. We think Free Studio is a great idea, bundling together a full suite of competent, straightforward video and audio freeware.
Free Studio Manager is a completely redesigned all-in-one package for more than 45 programs. It contains eight sections to bundle all free multimedia applications which have been developed by DVDVideoSoft. These sections the following: YouTube, MP3 and Audio, CD-DVD-BD, DVD and Video, Photo and Images, Mobiles, Apple Devices, 3D. Thus all the programs are included in the new interface for easy access to any of them.
With this free software you can convert video and audio files between different formats and to iPod, PSP, iPhone, BlackBerry, and all popular mobile phones and devices burn and rip DVDs and audio CDs upload and download YouTube videos and music to your computer, iPod, PSP, iPhone, and BlackBerry perform basic editing of audio and video files as well as record videos and make snapshots.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Bring High Definition sound to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Pandor...
- Change your voice and add sound effects to games and voice chat...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- MP3 Cutter Joiner is easy-to-use MP3 Cutter and MP3 Joiner tool...
- Enhance the sound quality of all PC audio.
- Capture, edit, enhance, and burn whatever audio files you have.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Combine multiple MP3 files into one and optionally convert the ...
- Increase PC volume above maximum.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Determine the exact BPM (beats per minute) of any song and upda...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 287 votes
Current version:1.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Not happy with this one..."
Version: Free Studio 188.8.131.523
none....nothing to write about
took long to install, then never worked
But it did install some tune up utilities that I didn't want or need, and took long to remove!
"Free Studio and Free Trouble!"
Version: Free Studio 184.108.40.2063
Converts between files! Almost!
Chased by the Tool Bar dog! Converts limited number of files. Takes what seems eternity for conversion. 'Wanna increase speed 6 times? Install the Tool Bar, or suffer the consequences' is what you get freely every time you start the program.
Add a number of files for conversion, leave the table and go fishing. Come back to see how well it has failed to do the job! What a faithful friend! The app is designed to work nicely once or twice, then it begins to reveal its true face. Failure, failure and failure... Patience is at stake! Yeah, it's because you didn't install their tool bar! OK then, my free good bye!I forgot to mention I tried the conversion 'Video to DVD'. Another thing I noticed is that once the conversion process is started you cannot stop it by any means although there is the 'Stop' button provided. I had to take the risk of switching off the computer manually. It happened twice.
Updated on Aug 7, 2012
"LAME CONVERSIONS TAKE FOR EVER"
Version: Free Studio 220.127.116.113
LOTS OF TOOLS
CANNOT RIP DVD'S ANYMORE, 3D CONVERTER DOES NOT WORK AND NEVER HAS. CONVERTERS TAKE UP TO 99% OF PC RESOURCES AND TAKE A VERY LONG TIME. FOR INSTANCE IT TOOK 24 HOURS TO CONVERT A MOVIE TO AVI HD AND WHEN IT COMPLETED IT WAS SAME QUALITY AS THE STANDARD MOVIE I CONVERTED. FOR 24 HOURS COULD NOT PLAY GAMES OR CARRY OUT MY USUAL TASKS.
THIS IS A LEARNING TOOL FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT EXPERIENCED WITH VIDEO CONVERSION AND THAT'S ALL NOTHING MORE.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content