CNET Editors' review
FotoMix is an intuitive photo-editing tool that allows users to create dual-layer images, making it possible to add, remove, and combine elements. Although it doesn't begin to compare to full-featured software like Photoshop, it's not a bad choice for non-professional users who need something that's quick and easy to use.
The program's interface is quite simple, with the five-step photo-editing process arranged with buttons across the top. Users simply select a background image, select a foreground image, do the necessary editing on each, tweak the settings on the final composition, and save the result. We, for example, inserted a giant eggplant into the water in front of a small fishing village. We can't say that it looked particularly realistic, but we can say that it is within the capabilities of FotoMix to combine elements from different images in a realistic way. We very rarely do any photo editing, but we found just about all of the program's features to be intuitive, and the built-in Help file is well-written and thorough. We think that FotoMix is a great choice for users who don't have much photo-editing experience but need a basic way to combine elements from different images or just perform basic edits and improvements on a single image; if nothing else, it's an easy way to crop, rotate, and add text to images.
FotoMix is free, but does include advertising. The program installs a desktop icon without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal. We recommend this program to all users.
From Digital Photo Software:
FotoMix is a versatile program that allows you to mix and manipulate different backgrounds and foregrounds, to create a wide variety of images of photo manipulations. You can use it to: Design eye-catching photo collages, desktop wallpapers, CD and DVD covers, and miscellaneous Web graphics. Add or remove your loved and not so loved ones from your pictures. Remove, add or alter backgrounds. Create photo montages by combining multiple pictures into a unique heirloom depicting retrospectives of a birth, marriage, and anniversary. The result that is so high in quality that it is almost impossible to tell if the photo has been manipulated. Once your creations are finished, you can print them, email them to friends or transfer them to T-shirts, mugs, calendars. Make the most out of your photo collection. Play with it. Explore the possibilities. You will love it. English, Spanish, French, German, Norwegian and Russian languages are supported.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Turn your picture into beautiful video.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, and funny backgrou...
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Make 3D realistic page-flipping music albums.
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
- Create slide shows with transition effects, caption effects, an...
- Create Flash slide shows with photos and music.
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Capture images from your computer screen and edit them, and cre...
- Edit any image format for which a WIC-compliant CODEC is instal...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 57 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Invasive Program - Works But Requires A Lot Of Effort"
Version: FotoMix 8.7.4
- Works as claimed, and can give some great results if you put in the time
- Installation will also automatically install the Facemoods toolbar, so be warned
- This program is NOT intuitive, the 5 work screens use text and icons in an inconsistant manner. No doubt, the habitual user will find it ok, but the occassional user like me will have a steep learning curve each time you return to the program
- There is a marked absense of any AUTO editing, for example for colour adjustment and, in particular, removal of background colours
Overall, I was disappointed with this program. I am never very happy when there is no custom installation offered, and incensed when I must then uninstall the invasive Facemoods toolbar (thankfully installed as a separate element). The only offer available during installation is whether to install as the preferred toolbar, not to not take it in the first instance !!!!
The editing tools on offer are adequate for a merge program ie, colour adustment, sizing, cropping cloning and erasing, but I could not recommend this program just for general photo editing. However, these tools are fine when used to seamlessly merge 2 (or more) images. It'a a pity that both the erase and cloning tools are so limited, since both require extensive manipulation even just to eliminate the background to any image.
Overall, I found the process clumsy and too demanding in both time and effort to achieve the effect I was looking for. There are easier and better tools available, and I could not recommend this software.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content