CNET Editors' review
This venerable and free alternative audio player has long been appreciated by hard-core customization enthusiasts, but Foobar2000 isn't just for early adopters or software jukebox fetishists. It doesn't mess with fancy buttons or bright colors, instead preferring a utilitarian, straightforward user interface to let the music speak for itself.
Foobar2000 uses tabs and panels to help the user navigate its plain, but functional, user interface. You can customize the interface using several layout options. Menu options and recognizable command buttons reside at the top of the window. Two panels, each with tabbed menus, reside on the left side of the window. From there, you can view the album list and the properties of a selected artist or song. You'll also find tabs for viewing a spectrogram, a spectrum, and VU meter of music currently being played. The largest panel displays track lists. Using the menu options, we were able to successfully pull music files from a CD, load them into the player, play them without issues, and save them as MP3s or WAVs. You can also display album art, and synchronize with portable players including iPods.
Though we would have liked to have seen a built-in help feature, the program does include a link that takes users to an FAQ page through the publisher's site. Both novice and advanced users will appreciate this program's easy navigation and straightforward style. Although many people might prefer a jukebox that looks more like iTunes, we highly recommend Foobar2000.
From Peter Pawlowski:
Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include ReplayGain support, low memory footprint, and native support for several popular audio formats.
What's new in this version: Version 1.1.14a has corrected a regression that slipped into 1.1.14.
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Burn CD, DVD, and Blu-ray.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 137 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Fast loading and clear interface"
Version: Foobar2000 1.1.14a
+Very fast,just 1 second loading time!
+Total clear interface
-Not a con but a suggestion : Open folders (right click) in a new tab instead of an existing one.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content