CNET Editors' review
If you're looking for a decent photo editor without breaking your wallet, FX Photo Studio for Mac is a solid solution. It comes with plenty of tools and filters for post processing and adding flare to your photos.
Upon launching the program, users are welcomed with a slick, dark interface that directs your attention to the photo itself. The layout makes great use of screen estate and the interface is clean and uncluttered. The overall experience of Photo Studio really focuses on bringing out the elements and emotions that you want out of the photo through its custom filters and basic feature tools. Full screen mode is also supported
Filters are laid out in a horizontal dock and there's quite a few; FX Photo Studio boasts over 150 effects to choose from. The horizontal filter bar lets you preview how your photo would look with each effect through a thumbnail image. Filters are grouped into styles ranging from cinematic to artistic categories, a helpful arrangement when narrowing down choices to create the perfect effect. Users can also mark frequently used filters with stars (or select a random filter for kicks) using the filter generator.
Mask brushes lets users apply filter effects with more precision. For the seasoned editor, the advanced features allow you to adjust some of the finer aspects of photo files, including exposure levels, temperature settings, and saturation values. It's a fairly well rounded and robust set of tools that should get you through all but the most complex image manipulation tasks.
One thing I appreciated in this program was the balance it strikes with its quick solutions using filters while still offering manual controls for adjusting critical elements of your photos. FX Photo Studio's accessibility and basic customizability can draw both novice and advanced users. But while the tool set is adequate for common photographic edits, the lack of an adequate media manager becomes very apparent once you start editing larger volumes. FX Photo Studio is a fine app for working on small numbers of photos, but the avid photog might find that the lack of a dedicated solution for higher volumes can make this a harder sell.
Despite these complaints, FX Photo Studio has a slick layout, plenty of tools and filters, and most importantly, an approachable and intuitive interface that makes it an attractive desktop tool for the asking price.
Either you are a professional photographer or just a hobbyist, FX Photo Studio PRO will take you to the brand new level of photo creativity on the Mac.
FX Photo Studio PRO gives you:
- - The mind-blowing variety of over 170 photo effects & filters
- - Dozens of photo frames and borders from classic to lomo style
- - PRO image editing tools and color controls
- - Masking with effects and Color splash tool
- - Integration with Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto, PhotoShop
- - Intuitive user interface
- - Sharing via most popular social networks and more
Created by usability and photography professionals, FX Photo Studio's user interface ensures that editing your photos can't get any easier.
FX Photo Studio PRO supports image resolution up to 32 megapixels and variety of photo formats, including RAW
FX Photo Studio PRO also lets you print images instantly, e-mail or share via most popular social networks: Facebook, Tumblr, Flickr, and Twitter.
What's new in this version:
- - MacBook Pro Retina display support
- - Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion compatibility
- - Enhanced for Retina display, major image processing improvements and new algorithms.
- - User interface improvements - now more intuitive and good-looking
- - Overall memory usage and performance improvements
- - Color processing improvements
- - Enhanced adjustment of your favorite effects by setting exact parameters
- - Bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows, part of iLife '11.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create, alter and manipulate photos.
- Create logos and other web graphics that look like a Photoshop ...
- Create amazing photos in minutes.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Create stunning photos like a pro! Erase objects, fix bad skin,...
- Create, edit, and enhance images.
- Image editor focusing on simplicity.
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Create web photo albums with slideshows of your images.
- Split, combine, reorder PDFs; overlay/edit images/text in PDFs.
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- PDF, PostScript & image viewer.
- Image/movie viewing app for most formats.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Hide files and personal information such as credit card numbers...
- Create photo collages automatically.
- Edit and manage your photos extremely fast and efficiently.
- Create iCal events with a slick natural language interface.
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- Convert and view mac wmf images.
- Reference management and bibliography generation.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Well worth the money"
Version: FX Photo Studio Pro 2.6
Lots of great effects and filters
Mix and tweak effects
Lots of sharing options
No resize tool
Really good buy for aspiring photographer
"a toy --- would have give zero stars if available."
Version: FX Photo Studio Pro 2.6
nothing like ArcSoft PhotoStudio or Photoshop as the info and blurbs lead me to believe. i am stuck now with changing colors of original pictures. can crop only squares/rectangles.
after reading everything CNET had to offer and blurbs about v, i expected more. i am now going to spend the extra bucks for ArcSoft PhotoStudio. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! i have trusted CNET for so long i did not feel the need to download the free trial. my own fault. with all the info on FX Photo Studio Pro, PLEASE download the free trial before purchasing.
"It's fun to use."
Version: FX Photo Studio Pro 2.0
Interesting and enjoyable to play with.
Version 2.0 doesn't recognize that version 2.1 is out there and when clicking on "Check for updates" it claims that the app is up to date.
"Very photographer friendly and powerful"
Version: FX Photo Studio Pro 2.0
Great variety of effects - first app of this kind. Different processing capabilities. Clean UI. Very good price.
Some effects take time to apply
The bottom line it is one of best photo editors around, especially when you don't know all the details of photoshop usage. Very clean and intuitive interface. Different processing capabilities, which become even cooler with the masking tools. I am a strong photoshop believer and seldom trust cheaper photo editors, this one is of course not a photoshop alternative, but is way more powerful than other photoeditors worth $30 - $200.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content