CNET Editors' review
If ad blocking is the hacksaw of Internet-protecting add-ons, DoNotTrackMe is a finely honed katana, slicing out tracking behaviors embedded in sites without destroying the modern Web.
The latest version makes some helpful changes both on the surface and how it protects you. Formerly known as Do Not Track Plus, the add-on's redesign makes it significantly easier to use. DNTMe's new crosshairs icon sits next to your location bar, and is easier to find than the previous one. It still shows you the number of trackers that it's blocked on the site that you're visiting, but the layout redeco looks much less like a Windows XP reject.
Click on the crosshairs and a drop-down window opens that shows you a sun icon if there's no trackers on the site, or in-depth tracking info if there's more going on than meets the eye. If trackers are detected, you see first a list of the companies tracking you, and then a breakdown of which companies to which they report. These include separate call-outs for social networks, as well as other private companies. The slider at the top is also what you click to allow all tracking from a specific site.
Below the tracker data is a real-time chart showing you how many trackers you've been protected from, although the chart's data is a bit thin. At the very bottom you have links to a combination of Abine privacy products, such as its DeleteMe service, and free blog posts that help explain more information about tracking and privacy concerns.
DNTMe's benefit isn't just that it blocks trackers, but that it keeps the social Web active while protecting you. Publisher Abine does this by actually rebuilding the social-networking buttons on most sites, which prevents sites from gleaning tracking data from you when you're not logged in. By rebuilding social-networking buttons on the fly without sacrificing privacy or site load times, it keeps the kind of functionality people want from the Web.
It's a unique response to the problem of tracking, and reflects how seriously Abine takes its task. DNTMe also blocks ad networks and companies from following you around the Web.
The settings icon, a small gear at the top, lets you toggle tracking cookie blocking on a per-site basis. And throughout the interface, links take you to Abine's sites that explain what the add-on is doing and why it's doing it. We're talking smart, helpful stuff.
Every time you use the web, companies are watching, collecting, and storing info about you and your web activity. Now you can stop them with DoNotTrackMe. DoNotTrackMe (DNTMe) is the new and improved DoNotTrackPlus. Its the same free privacy software that prevents online tracking and improves your security on the Internet, with more powerful blocking and an improved UI. DNTMe blocks hundreds of online trackers on millions of sites.
When youre using DNTMe:
- View the number of trackers youre blocking by referring to the icon in your browser toolbar. Click the icon to see more details about the companies trying to track you.
- Online trackers, like Facebook, Twitter, and Google Analytics, can't see or collect your web activity.
- Forget about deleting cookies that store your info; DNTMe prevents them from being placed on your machine in the first place.
- Block ads with tracking capability, including annoying ads that seem to follow you everywhere you go.
DNTMe is a tool that that prevents online tracking, so naturally, we don't collect any data about our users.
Note- Do Not Track Me was previously called Do Not Track Plus.
What's new in this version:
- Small bug fixes around the mini graph and UI display.
- New functionality to handle suggested site allows from our users.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest M...
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Surf the web with this fast and powerful browser with form fill...
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Record keystrokes, log visited websites, take screenshots and s...
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- Restore your lost owner or user password.
- Secure your privacy and maintain your anonymity while surfing t...
- Block ad elements in Safari.
- Powerful menu bar screenshot utility.
- Search, download, subscribe to and share torrents.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Menu bar app that links to Google+.
- Get a trust seal for your Web site.
- Searching and dictionary lookup Utility.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 43 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content