CNET Editors' review
If ad blocking is the hacksaw of Internet-protecting add-ons, Do Not Track Plus (DNT+) is a finely honed katana, slicing out tracking behaviors embedded in sites without destroying the modern Web.
Do Not Track Plus extends your privacy
It's cross-browser and cross-platform, and will work in Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari. An Opera version is in the works. DNT+ blocks sites and ads from tracking you, unless you give them explicit permission to do so. For most sites, it actually rebuilds tools like social-networking buttons on the fly so you can still get your social on without sacrificing privacy or site load times. It also blocks ad networks and companies from following you around the Web.
DNT+ installs as a browser toolbar button. The icon reflects the number of tracking blocks against the site you're viewing. Click the button and a drop-down window appears with trackers separated into three categories: social buttons, ad networks, and companies. If there's something marked verboten that you want back, like a Twitter button, clicking it will resurrect it. Otherwise, the links at the bottom of each section take you to sites that explain what the add-on is doing and why it's doing it. This is smart, helpful stuff.
The interface is clean if a bit cluttered with the verbiage necessary to explain what it's actually doing. The add-on's On/Off button could be bigger, too. Its features work well, with no noticeable lag times when loading sites. In fact, the only feature hang-up was that on some sites, the social networking buttons weren't re-rendered. It's easy enough to go into the add-on and reactivate them, but it is an imperfect implementation of a core feature.
DoNotTrackPlus is renowned for its outstanding technology and seamless integration into your web experience. DNT+ blocks 100s of trackers on millions of sites. When you visit a website DNT+ blocks tracking technologies from seeing and collecting your web activity such as what sites you visit, and what you view. The add-on also prevents cookies from being placed on your machine that would continue to store information about your Internet browsing, and blocks ads with tracking capability, including the annoying ads that seem to follow you everywhere you go. DNT+ runs quietly in your browser toolbar, displaying the number of tracking companies trying to monitor your activity on that site. Expand the DNT+ window by clicking the icon to see more details on the specific companies and technologies attempting to track you, as well as an all-time count of blocked tracking attempts. Earn medals and enjoy congratulations as you reach new privacy milestones.
What's new in this version: Version 18.104.22.1682: Performance: DNTP IE add-on load performance has been significantly improved. Stability: DNTP IE add-on contains bug fixes for several product crashes reported by customers. Usability: DNTP IE installer incorporates post-install experience updated to provide clearer guidance via pop-up tool-tip window.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your online privacy by cleaning up Internet history and...
- Protect files and emails using encryption software.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 92 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"WOW! What can I NOT say about DNT PLUS?"
Version: Do Not Track Plus for IE (32-bit) 22.214.171.1242
This DNT is awesome, work on my Internet Explorer AND Google Chrome, had it a month and already BLOCKED 18,746 sites?
Wow, NEVER knew that many people wanted a piece of the action....that's like being followed around in a jewelry store and some idiot just waiting to pounce on you when you get out the door to rob you of what you just bought, or worse case scenario...just found out where you live to follow you home and rip you off ya' know? SCARY.
NONE so far, I heard NOT to use it on 64 bit if you still want to keep your Yahoo Mail....guess they'll have to work THOSE bugs out, huh?
I hope the 18, 746 BLOCKES carry over to a newer upgraded PC whenever I get it, am sure it won't, but we'll see. I really like the idea of NOT being tracked unless I say it's OK to do so.
My business should be kept my business only. LOVE THIS PROGRAM!
~Ms. Pat B. in El Cajon, CA.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content