CNET Editors' review
Losing the password to your Internet service provider account can be frustrating, especially since the only way to contact many ISPs is online. Nirsoft's Dialupass is a free tool that enumerates all the dial-up and VPN entries on your PC and displays their details, including User Name, Password, and Domain. With it, you can recover a lost password or logon ID. You can run the tool when things are swell and save the list as text, HTML, CSV, or XML files for when you need it. You can also copy the results to the clipboard.
Like most of Nirsoft's tools, Dialupass is a tiny download; the program file is less than 40KB and runs as soon as it's clicked, so it's totally portable and would make a great addition to a USB drive toolkit. We tested it on machines running Windows XP and 7. Dialupass opened with a bread-and-butter dialog listing each system's dial-up connections, displaying user names, passwords, and other information about our account and settings. Interestingly, it didn't identify the VPN connection in Windows 7 until we opened it, possibly because our VPN tool, like Dialupass, is a standalone program that doesn't modify the Windows registry or file system. Dialupass has some valuable extras, too, such as an option not to display your passwords and user names, keeping them safe from roaming eyes. You can also extract dialup password lists, add header lines, select a grid view, and enable Tool Tips.
Dial-up Internet connections may be on the way out, but they're still the standard in many parts of the world, especially rural areas. Many broadband users maintain a dial-up account as a backup for when their main connection is down; they are especially likely to lose their passwords, and just as likely to need them the most. A tool like Dialupass, which is totally free and totally easy to use, too, can save the day when the fast pipe is clogged. NirSoft Freeware specializes in free, compact utilities that enhance the features and functionality of Windows systems. We've tried a lot of their tools and liked them all, and Dialupass is no exception--just don't try to pronounce it.
From NirSoft Freeware:
Dialupass utility enumerates all dialup/VPN entries on your computers, and displays their logon details: User Name, Password, and Domain. You can use it to recover a lost password of your Internet connection or VPN. Dialupass also allows you to save the dialup/VPN list into text/html/csv/xml file, or copy it to the clipboard.
What's new in this version: Version 3.20 added 'Copy /setpass Command-Line' option (Under the Edit menu).
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Recover your Outlook PST file passwords.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Recover Windows usernames and passwords.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Recover lost or forgotten Windows passwords.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Manage and organize all your passwords and arrange access level...
- Recover MS Access passwords automatically.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Recover different types of passwords.
- Arrange, store, and protect your passwords, user IDs, and relat...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- View the user names and passwords stored by Mozilla Firefox Web...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- View, copy, and save deleted usernames and passwords.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Capture and display POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, FTP, and HTTP passwords.
- Generate random password combination using letters and numerals...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Used to recover a VPN pass on a Windows Vista Machine"
Version: Dialupass 3.10
No Cons at this point.
"nice name for the program considering dial-up can be a pain in the ass"
Version: Dialupass 2.44