CNET Editors' review
Losing the password to your Internet service provider account can be frustrating, especially since the only way to contact many ISPs is online. Nirsoft's Dialupass is a free tool that enumerates all the dial-up and VPN entries on your PC and displays their details, including User Name, Password, and Domain. With it, you can recover a lost password or logon ID. You can run the tool when things are swell and save the list as text, HTML, CSV, or XML files for when you need it. You can also copy the results to the clipboard.
Like most of Nirsoft's tools, Dialupass is a tiny download; the program file is less than 40KB and runs as soon as it's clicked, so it's totally portable and would make a great addition to a USB drive toolkit. We tested it on machines running Windows XP and 7. Dialupass opened with a bread-and-butter dialog listing each system's dial-up connections, displaying user names, passwords, and other information about our account and settings. Interestingly, it didn't identify the VPN connection in Windows 7 until we opened it, possibly because our VPN tool, like Dialupass, is a standalone program that doesn't modify the Windows registry or file system. Dialupass has some valuable extras, too, such as an option not to display your passwords and user names, keeping them safe from roaming eyes. You can also extract dialup password lists, add header lines, select a grid view, and enable Tool Tips.
Dial-up Internet connections may be on the way out, but they're still the standard in many parts of the world, especially rural areas. Many broadband users maintain a dial-up account as a backup for when their main connection is down; they are especially likely to lose their passwords, and just as likely to need them the most. A tool like Dialupass, which is totally free and totally easy to use, too, can save the day when the fast pipe is clogged. NirSoft Freeware specializes in free, compact utilities that enhance the features and functionality of Windows systems. We've tried a lot of their tools and liked them all, and Dialupass is no exception--just don't try to pronounce it.
From NirSoft Freeware:
Dialupass utility enumerates all dialup/VPN entries on your computers, and displays their logon details: User Name, Password, and Domain. You can use it to recover a lost password of your Internet connection or VPN. Dialupass also allows you to save the dialup/VPN list into text/html/csv/xml file, or copy it to the clipboard.
What's new in this version: Version 3.20 added 'Copy /setpass Command-Line' option (Under the Edit menu).
More Products to Consider
- View the user names and passwords stored by Mozilla Firefox Web...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Recover your Outlook PST file passwords.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Recover passwords stored by VNC tool.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Recover your password stored by Google Chrome Web browser.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Recover passwords of Microsoft Remote Desktop.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Reveal passwords stored behind asterisks in standard password t...
- Create Password Security Object for different user accounts in ...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Used to recover a VPN pass on a Windows Vista Machine"
Version: Dialupass 3.10
No Cons at this point.
"nice name for the program considering dial-up can be a pain in the ass"
Version: Dialupass 2.44