CNET Editors' reviewAwkward and nonconfigurable controls mar this otherwise nice arcade shooter. In Desktop Roids, your task is to use your spaceship to destroy all the asteroids and comets flying around. After about five objects hit you, you die. Big asteroids split into smaller parts that can still hit you with as much impact as the big ones. As the game progresses, comets join the asteroids in trying to destroy your spacecraft. You fire in bursts of one missile or three bullets. There are two ways to control the spaceship--through number and letter keys--and both are nightmarish to use. Still, the game is addictive. The more you play it, the more you want to, regardless of the troubles with the spaceship controls.
An easy to play asteroids style game, 1 or 2 player cooperative modes, and a 2 player versus mode. Multiple power ups to keep you in play. New features like brakes, and sound FX with background music. (SC2 like controls)
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Work on your darts skills and have your skill level mathematica...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Play backgammon against the computer or friends.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Stop magical dragons before they reach gate.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Choose one of three different ships and blast asteroids.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Catch bouncing spheres and arrange them into intricate patterns...
- Play mahjongg and be a champion.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play a 2D platform game with classic sidescroller game design.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Play a detailed dungeon crawler game.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play an extreme form of miniture golf.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play a shooting game between good and evil.
- Throw jelly balls at species from distant galaxies with this st...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Utterly ruined by (at least) one glaring flaw"
Version: Desktop Roids 2.0
I like the *concept* of this game, but it's a total wasted 10 MB download as it stands, because it is virtually unplayable owing to the inability to assign one's own desired control keys. The default keys assigned for play are utterly stupid and ridiculous... you'll never be able to control your ship; period, exclamation point.