CNET Editors' reviewAwkward and nonconfigurable controls mar this otherwise nice arcade shooter. In Desktop Roids, your task is to use your spaceship to destroy all the asteroids and comets flying around. After about five objects hit you, you die. Big asteroids split into smaller parts that can still hit you with as much impact as the big ones. As the game progresses, comets join the asteroids in trying to destroy your spacecraft. You fire in bursts of one missile or three bullets. There are two ways to control the spaceship--through number and letter keys--and both are nightmarish to use. Still, the game is addictive. The more you play it, the more you want to, regardless of the troubles with the spaceship controls.
An easy to play asteroids style game, 1 or 2 player cooperative modes, and a 2 player versus mode. Multiple power ups to keep you in play. New features like brakes, and sound FX with background music. (SC2 like controls)
More Products to Consider
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe with this skin pack.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Add social media applications in your game with ease.
- Modify your computer's settings to increase your gaming perform...
- Fight for humanity against an alien onslaught.
- Improve your PC and Internet speed performance.
- Fight battles between plants and zombies.
- Play a 3D tank shooting game.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Travel through 15 levels, fighting the most classic of monsters...
- Emulate the C64 computer with over 200 included games and demos...
- Browse and download games of your choice.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Explore quests and levels in a twist of solitaire and mahjong.
- Solve mathematical problems and check your mathematical skills.
- Play bingo in the comfort of your own desktop.
- Take a spin around three tracks with three car modes.
- Fly on a small spaceship and destroy hordes of enemies.
- Play 12 different games on your desktop.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Utterly ruined by (at least) one glaring flaw"
Version: Desktop Roids 2.0
I like the *concept* of this game, but it's a total wasted 10 MB download as it stands, because it is virtually unplayable owing to the inability to assign one's own desired control keys. The default keys assigned for play are utterly stupid and ridiculous... you'll never be able to control your ship; period, exclamation point.