CNET Editors' review
Debut Video Recording Software Professional Version from NCH Software turns your computer into a flexible, capable video capture and recording device. It can record video from a wide range of sources, including VHS VCRs, and save it in many formats; it can also capture screenshots and save them as JPEG stills. It will even capture and record video playing on your PC's screen. When all else fails but you've just got to save that clip, Debut can save the day.
Debut detected our video capture and playback devices, but it will automatically configure itself as a screen capture tool if no such devices are present. A full-featured, up-to-date interface let us not only capture and record video but also schedule and manage recordings. We pressed the first button on the toolbar, Webcam, and immediately our system's camera became active and started recording video. Clicking Device accessed a VHS video recorder via the line-in jacks on our video card; clicking Screen displayed our current screen view. The Schedule and Recordings functions needed no explanation, but the Selections tool proved more intriguing. This let us drag open a rectangular capture window on our desktop, or capture an entire window, and save only our selection, excluding the rest of the desktop. This greatly simplifies editing screen-captured video displayed in a small window. The program's options are basic for the genre, though we could configure snapshot quality, select a camera shutter sound, and defeat Debut's window in video recordings to prevent mirror effects. Debut also works with NHC's BroadCam live video streaming software to stream your video online, a capacity we didn't test.
Recording VHS video with Debut proved as easy as recording any video input via our system's video card (hooking a VCR up to a PC is the tricky part). We consider the results excellent: VHS-to-PC is limited by the quality of the source, which in this case is far inferior to your PC's screen. However, your digitally dubbed tapes will look normal when played back at the correct resolution on your TV. The ability to work well with a wide range of such devices sets Debut apart from less capable shareware and freeware video recording tools.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Debut Video Recording Software Professional Version 1.49. The trial version is limited to 14 days.
From NCH Software:
Debut Video Recording Software Professional Version is video capture software that lets you capture video files directly on a PC from a Webcam, external devices, computer screen, or streaming video. Debut Video Recording Software saves the new video file on your hard drive as AVI, WMV, or many other file types. You can also capture a snapshot (video still) from a video recording and save it to JPEG. Debut is designed to be easy and intuitive to use, giving you the ability to record essentially anything from capturing video from a Webcam, your screen, or video input devices such as a VHS recorder within minutes of downloading.
Capture Streaming Video allows you to capture video directly to your hard drive, Record video in many different file formats including .AVI, .WMV, .FLV, .ASF .MPG, .3GP, .MP4, and .MOV, record from your Webcam, screen, or video input device, record almost anything you can see on your monitor, record video and audio simultaneously, create photo snap-shots, add your own text captions or time stamp your videos, change color settings and video effects before recording, adjust video resolution, size, and frame rate for video capture. It has the ability to burn directly to DVD with Express Burn Disc Burner, Works with BroadCam Video Broadcast Software to stream over the internet.
What's new in this version: Version 1.69 - Improved H.264 optimization.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Convert HD/any videos to popular formats, extract and convert a...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert and edit your video files adding slide shows and titles...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
- Unleash your creativity to transform your video footage into am...
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Create movies and slide shows from your photos and videos, and ...
- Create and edit professional looking videos; rotate, crop, cut,...
- Edit movies and other video recordings on a Windows PC.
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Cut videos according to your needs.
- Shoot, edit, and share all of life's adventures with the all-in...
- Convert your videos to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, MP4, H264, AVI, ...
- Broadcast and edit video audio files.
- Create and convert video to DVD with quality.
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 148 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Kinda good, kinda bad"
Version: Debut Video Capture Software Professional 1.69
It does record (30fps only) and sounds in windows 7
It was not the total 'bomb' but it did give me what
Upgraded to windows 8, the sound driver crashes the system
contact the company, totally ignored me
ok for windows 7 (and perhaps before)
bad for 8, and company is non responsive
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content