Instead of mucking around with removable media, Crashplan offers up a distinct alternative. Banking on ubiquitous high-speed Internet access and more than one computer per household, this service allows you to back up your entire computer to as many discreet locations as you can manage. This includes Crashplan's servers, a second PC of yours, or even your friend's computer.
Designed for PCs and Macs, Crashplan's backups are encrypted before they're sent out. The backup process runs effortlessly in the background over a high-speed network, but we wouldn't recommend it to anyone still on a dial-up modem. The simple and intuitive interface makes preference changes easy, whether you're adding or dropping files from the backup process or choosing a new backup location.
The benefit of off-site safety and security could potentially save you thousands of dollars, as anyone who has had to salvage a fire-damaged hard drive knows. Crashplan charges 10 cents per gigabyte per month to use their servers, but the company discourages this option. Given the ever-dropping cost of memory and storage drives, Crashplan may not be the wave of the future, but it's nice to have a choice for backing up essential files other than shelling out for yet another hard drive.
Only CrashPlan offers local and online backup that's automatic, secure and cross-platform. Files are automatically compressed, encrypted, and transmitted to your designated backup destinations. Whether you need to back up a few computers at home or thousands at the office, CrashPlan delivers multi-destination protection that maximizes convenience, flexibility and rapid restores. It's free to back up locally and to friends and family, and it's just a few dollars a month for unlimited online backup with a CrashPlan Central subscription.
What's new in this version:
- Free for backups to local computers, local drives and/or friend's computers
- The paid version, CrashPlan+, now includes online backup and flexible Backup Sets
- Monthly, yearly and multi-year plans available with 10GB or unlimited online storage
- CrashPlan detects new computers / drives on your account and allows you to avoid restarting backup
- New scheduling options allow you to choose the day(s) of the week you want backups to take place. ... See all new features »