CNET Editors' review
Cloudmark Desktop One is an antispam tool for small and medium businesses, but it's free for personal use. It protects your e-mail account from spam, phishing, and viruses. It automatically configures itself to your e-mail account, but it works independently to protect you from threats even when your e-mail client is closed. It supports Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Mozilla Thunderbird with its optional integrated toolbar, and Gmail, Yahoo, Lycos, Hotmail, FastMail, and AOL without the toolbar. It offers separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows XP, Vista, and 7. We tried the 64-bit version in Windows 7 Home Premium. The freeware runs in Basic mode, which limits scans to one folder and disables automatic deletion of old spam and the trusted senders option.
Desktop One's installer let us select the free Basic version or activate the full Pro software. It automatically identified both our client (Outlook) and e-mail account and also let us configure Webmail accounts. We selected the client to enable full toolbar support, which included downloading and installing an Outlook add-in. The program's toolbar doesn't work with all combinations of Windows and Office, but it's optional. It lets you quickly enable or disable senders. Desktop One also has a small, separate interface for accessing the program's settings, including choosing which folder to scan. The program does its job in the background, automatically moving or deleting spam based on how you configure it with the Spam Action menu in the Account Settings. Under the Advanced Account Settings, we could disable the program when our e-mail client closes. The program also offers a different Advanced Settings dialog for proxies. The online Help file offers excellent documentation.
About the 32-bit and 64-bit downloads: Many users who run 64-bit versions of Windows actually use 32-bit editions of Office, on Microsoft's recommendation. The 64-bit download of Desktop One is for 64-bit versions of Windows running 64-bit versions of Office 2010. If you're running 32-bit Office in 64-bit Windows, you need the 32-bit version of Desktop One. The installer will tell you if it's compatible.
Cloudmark DesktopOne (64-bit) is the FREE Anti-Spam Solution to protect your inbox from spam, phishing and viruses. Cloudmark DesktopOne installs in seconds, then automatically detects e-mail accounts on your computer and begins filtering them with a click of a button. Cloudmark DesktopOne works independently of your e-mail program to block spam around the clock, even when your e-mail program is closed. Manage multiple e-mail accounts in one window when you're in Pro mode. The Accounts Window displays your protected e-mail account and lets you configure them, showing statistics about how many spam messages were blocked for each one. Simple online account management lets you manage your Cloudmark subscription in a convenient web-based interface.
What's new in this version: Version 1.4 provides support for Outlook 2013 and Windows 8 and fixes issue with Trust Address Book in Thunderbird scanner not working.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your e-mails from spam and phishing.
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Protect your computer from viruses, trojans, and other malware.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Provides extensive and continuous protection for your home and ...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Protect your home and office computers from viruses, trojans, a...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Protects your mail sever from spam and viruses.
- Protect computers from objectionable content and security threa...
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Protect your system and personal data from known and unknown th...
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Protect your computer from malware.
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Provide security for desktops and protection against viruses.
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Filter spam from your Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windo...
- Protect your computers form viruses and speed up overall system...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content