CNET Editors' review
Chasys Draw IES Artist is a free, full-featured image editing and drawing program that does what big-box programs like Adobe Photoshop can do, with a few unique touches that set it apart and actually make it easier to use than the competition.
When you install Chasys Draw, you have the option to associate it with various file types, which is handy if you want to make it your default graphics tool; you can change these associations at any time, too. The main interface is similar to most graphics programs in its layout, its complement of tools and functions, and its use of layers. Wizard-like steps simplify the processes of creating a project and opening and editing an image, video, or other compatible file. We clicked New Project, and the program walked us through the steps of selecting a new image, video, or disk label project or scanning an image. We selected a blank document, choosing dimensions, resolution, orientation, and background colors. We started with the brush tool, drawing freehand with both the mouse and a Wacom pen. Most of the program's wide range of brushes, effects, and tools are similar to those in Photoshop and other software. Chasys Draw accepts plug-ins, too. What we like about this tool, and what sets it apart, are its customizable Windows Aero-compatible transparency, which kept unused windows and tools semitransparent until they were activated by hovering the mouse; its pop-up labels and explanations; and the way the Help file opens on the appropriate entry when you first initiate a function. Other small but useful touches distinguish Chasys Draw from the pack, such as tiny icons in the left-hand corner for rotating images from portrait to landscape orientation. This versatile bundle also includes an icon generator, a calculator, a Notepad utility, and a color palette generator. The raw photo tool offers so many options that it's essentially a separate tool, while the Image Converter tool is powerful and flexible.
Chasys Draw IES Artist does so much that it would take some time to cover it all. It's a legitimate alternative to the big-bucks, big-box image tools on its own merits, and all the more so because it's freeware.
From John Paul Chacha's Lab:
Chasys Draw IES is a suite of applications including a layer-based image editor with animation, icon editing support and super-resolution via image stacking (Chasys Draw IES Artist), a multi-threaded image file converter (Chasys Draw IES Converter), a fast image viewer (Chasys Draw IES Viewer) and a RAW camera file processor (Chasys Draw IES raw-Photo). The whole suite is UAC aware and is designed to take advantage of multi-core processors, touch-screens and pen-input devices.
What's new in this version:
- TextArt 1.5 with wordwrap, v-align, line-spacing and a new editor
- Support for Paint.NET PDN files (without dotNET)
- New option for Pencil Tool - Block
- New option for Dynamics Tool - Clipping Point
- Updated Crop and Rotate Tool with 9 anchors
- Updated Pattern Tool
- Improved Power Management (lazy autosave if on battery)
- Improved docking and window transparency
- Improved PSD and XCF support
- Toggle functionality fo... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create Flash slide shows with photos and music.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Create slide shows with transition effects, caption effects, an...
- Turn your picture into beautiful video.
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Edit any image format for which a WIC-compliant CODEC is instal...
- View photos, images, RAW files.
- Turn your photos and other still images to vivid slideshow with...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 19 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Top Professional Look"
Version: Chasys Draw IES 3.76.04
- Quality of graphics.
- Quality of tools.
Minimal learning curve -- gotta read the documentation, at least I do.
I'm a GIMP lover, this adds really great looking graphics to what I can do.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content