CNET Editors' review
Bridge Baron provides all the tools you need to enjoy the classic card game of contract bridge. The program's realism and teaching ability make for an excellent game of bridge for newcomers and old hands alike.
Bridge Baron's interface is simple and inviting, even to people whose bridge skills may be a little rusty. A navigable layout and excellent tutorials on the rules and specifics, such as convention practice, cover all the bases. From starting off bidding for the contract to unloading your deck and scoring against opponents, it does a fine job of mimicking real play. While the game isn't anything special from a graphics standpoint, the talent of the virtual opponents is more than good enough for beginners. However, experienced players might feel a bit bored with the routine game play, since the skill level isn't adjustable. Fortunately for those looking for a bigger challenge, you can create virtual bridge tournaments or even play other real players online via its simple tool to connect with other Bridge Baron users. The program also offers some basic features of card-game software, such as a deal library and a deal generator, which are good for polishing your bridge game, but not necessary.
We love that Bridge Baron performs a tough balancing act by being both a nice classroom for dummies and offering challenges for bridge fanatics. Bridge Baron has a three-day trial. It installs desktop icons without permission. With its appeal to new and old players alike, Bridge Baron takes the trick.
From Great Game Products:
You can now see what Bridge Baron is "thinking" about, at higher levels of bidding and play. At higher levels of bidding and play, while Bridge Baron is "thinking", you can force it to bid or play immediately by clicking the "Bid Now" or "Play Now" button. The option to choose among hand evaluation methods, such as long-suit point count or short-suit point count. On the Mac, vastly improved user interface. Improved bidding and play, including improved Two-over-One bidding, improved matchpoint-focused bidding and play when playing tournament deals at matchpoints, and more realistic double-dummy cardplay. States a line of play for all claims. Improved bidding agreement flexibility (set your own takeout-double level).
What's new in this version: Version 22.0.1:
- Greatly expands defensive lead and signal agreements.
- Added 6 new tournaments.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Use this program to generate dice rolls.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Select players randomly for one-on-one games and competitions.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Manage UEFA Euro 2008 championship.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Get into card playing action, challenge computer champions, or ...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Play songs in jukebox style.
- Access sites from UBlam.com on your desktop.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Find suitable hotel deals and book hotels online.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Randomize letters of each word to make texts more challenging t...
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Make life easier in a classroom.
- Play the universally popular card game of bridge.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play desktop game of columns.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-6 of 6
"Gamewise - too complicated to enjoy."
Version: Bridge Baron 21.0
Not much to recommend IMO
I've been playing the Bridge game by SpecialK. and although not perfect, it's much more a 'game' than is Bridge Baron. I've found BB difficult to play mainly due to it's overly complicated options and a rather poor interface and play table.
Not easily playable IMO but try it for yourself
"I like the program but am trying to bid."
Version: Bridge Baron 19.0.2
I like the graphics and the huge number of conventions allowed to be bid.
I want to practice Precision Bidding but I can find no way to establish Precision as the bidding system. I did find the description of Precision but no way to actively bid the system.
"An excellent product and great support experience"
Version: Bridge Baron 18
Great program to learn how to play bridge
The interface is ok.
"No support! Do NOT buy this product"
Version: Bridge Baron 18
Great game play
No support - if you run into trouble they will not help
I purchased Bridge Baron 19 for my Mother - she's a keen bridge player.
Unfortunately the program returns an error whenever she tries to register it, both online and manually.
After contacting the helpdesk 3 times in the last 2 weeks - STILL NO RESPONSE. So, BB have my money, have a buggy oriduct registration, do NOT respond to requests for assistance and do not deserve ours or anyone elses custom
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!
"not worth the sixty-five bucks"
Version: Bridge Baron 18
it's very hard to say anything positive about this program
get rid of the graphics and other junk and put more effort into making it a program that can beat an average player
there's better out there for a lot less money. Don't pay 65 bucks for this when you can get it for less than half on ebay
Version: Bridge Baron 15.0