CNET Editors' review
If you're reading this, there's a very high probability that you're what's known as a computer user, which Webster defines as "an individual at elevated risk for repetitive stress injuries (RSI)" such as carpal tunnel syndrome, not to mention other physiological stresses like eyestrain and neck pain. Your doctor and your mother will both tell you the same thing: you're spending way too much time in front of that computer, and you should take regular stretch breaks. That's where a tool like Big Stretch Reminder comes in. This simple, free utility interrupts you at regular, predetermined intervals, prompting you to take a break and offering random RSI-prevention messages like "Have a Tea Break!" or a message of your own. You can set a sound alert and a countdown reminder in the system tray.
Big Stretch's general settings begin with configuring the time between breaks, either from a drop-down list of predefined regular intervals or by clicking Custom and scrolling to an exact time. We could enter a custom message under Message Content or check Show random tip and configure reminder as a balloon, pop-up, or a micro-break lasting from a minute to an hour. We set a 2-minute Micro Break and pressed Show Example, which previewed our break. The small dialog showed a random tip, a green progress bar, and our break's remaining time in minutes and seconds. We could click buttons labeled Postpone 2 mins to accommodate unexpected interruptions or Skip Break to just get back to work. The audible reminders somewhat betray the software's U.K. origins: Beep, Ding Dong, Pipes, and Tea Time. We could set various other options such as stopping reminders when the computer is idle. Once it's set, though, Big Stretch does its thing automatically and on cue.
It's only fair that software should help mitigate some of the physical stress hardware inflicts on peopleware. Tools like Big Stretch can help maximize your ergonomic health and efficiency, reducing injuries and aggravation, too. Frequent short breaks can make a difference, if you could only remember them and bring yourself to take them. Take our advice: take a big leap and download Big Stretch Reminder.
The program will sit happily in your system tray (where the little icons are in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.) until a predefined time period of your choice arrives at which point an alert will appear offering either RSI tips, quotes or a message of your choosing. Users also have the option of choosing an alert mode which can either be intrusive or not (depending on how strict you need to be), a micro-break can also be displayed on the screen if you wish. You can also set a sound to accompany your alert and the tray icon can act as a countdown indicator to the next break.
What's new in this version: Version 2.0 allows you to input multiple custom messages or display a motivational quote and select your own sound / music to play at break time. The Interface has been redesigned, it now detects if full screen movie playing or game and you can manually start a break form the system tray menu.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Stop repetitive strain injury with breaks, stretches, and postu...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Be reminded to stretch at your computer.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Display reminders about taking breaks to avoid Repetitive Strai...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Help protect yourself from computer-related injuries with this ...
- Get reminders and view animated streches at specified time.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Prevent repetitive stress injuries.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Easily and quickly create a reminder.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Get audible and visual reminders of important events or appoint...
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Get easy access to a calendar, a countdown timer, and a holiday...
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Set the alarm and be notified when it goes on.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
All versions:2.4 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:1.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"For me it's unusable, but it's okay."
Version: Big Stretch Reminder Program 2.0
It does what it's supposed to do.
It places a handle on your audio driver. I can't use any of my music software (e.g. FL Studio) because this program does not close its connection with the audio driver when it's not using it. Even if you turn the sound effect off, this program still keeps a handle on your audio driver. For me, this is a dealbreaker.
Okay, but poorly programmed.
"Comes loaded with crap ware"
Version: Big Stretch Reminder Program 2.0
Might do what it says.
Loaded my browsers with add ons, including something called Info Atoms that I can't even seem to uninstall via add/remove programs. Also changed my default search to Bing :(
Do not use.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content