"This software is very misleading and annoying"
Version: Backup To The Web 22.214.171.124
The software seems at first easy to use. The various items can be checked in checkboxes easily.
Here is the message I left on Backituptotheweb.com's forum. That sums it up.
To whom it may concern,
I am really scratching my head about the lack of thinking going on at your company. The list of bad security-minded things about your product is amazing and while I don't want to waste my precious time explaining everything I have to say I am astounded at how inept you all are about communicating with your clients. Instead of explaining, let me tell you what I really don't appreciate at all about the way you do business:
1. I downloaded your software which wasn't very well explained, from c/net's download.com. There they say that your software is free to try but costs $5.95. Not per month, but $5.95.
2. I installed your software, quite foolishly, and didn't see anything about where you were backing things up. I assumed you were selling ftp type software that was going to let me backup my data to my own web server. Nowhere did it mention in a place that was easy to find that you were uploading my data to your own server.
3. Why would anyone trust you, who they have never met, to allow you into their data? Yes, they can encrypt their data if they even know what encryption is, but you guys could also be total crooks. You have no ability to prove you are who you say you are, so why would anyone trust you? You need to be a lot better at stating exactly who you are up front and where you can be reached.
4. I set up a test backup. Then I ran it. Amazingly that is when I discovered you were uploading my data to your server, which wasn't clear in any of your up front information. You didn't make that clear at all.
5. Then, I stopped the upload, even though I had encrypted my test. As if I could even tell whether you were actually encrypting it or not.
6. I uninstalled the software.
7. Day after day I got a nagging message from firstname.lastname@example.org that my backup didn't succeed. ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION OF WHO YOU GUYS ARE, WHAT YOUR WEBSITE FOR SUPPORT IS, NOTHING THAT IDENTIFIES YOU AT ALL.
Reply to this review
Read replies (2)
Was this review helpful?