CNET Editors' note: Apple response on RAM issue: "The Apple 4.1.7 and 4.1.8 firmware updates incorporate a number of fixes that dramatically improve system stability and performance. The update also includes a new check that validates whether the installed memory in the machine is compatible. This check was added to help alleviate random crashes and stability issues. The new memory test disables memory DIMMs that are found to be out of specification and DIMMs that cannot be determined to be compatible. As a result, some third party memory that was recognized by previous versions of firmware may no longer be recognized after the updates." It appears most RAM vendors will replace RAM if you find yours has been disabled by this firmware. Use DIMM First Aid to see if your RAM will be compatible with this firmware or help restore it if it has been disabled.
It appears most RAM vendors will replace RAM if you find yours has been disabled by this firmware. Use DIMM First Aid to see if your RAM will be compatible with this firmware or help restore it if it has been disabled.
The PowerBook Firmware Update 4.2.9 will only run on 550MHz or 667MHz PowerBook G4 computers running Mac OS 9.1 or later from a local drive. If you are using Mac OS X you must boot from a local Mac OS 9.1 writeable partition (not a CD, or network disk) prior to following the update instructions. Firmware Update 4.2.9 includes improvements to Firewire target disk mode when running Mac OS X, and improves starting up on systems with 1gigabyte (GB) RAM and enables Netbooting over gigabit Ethernet.
More Products to Consider
- Add customizable gestures to Magic Mouse or MacBook trackpad.
- High-quality scanner driver with support for several manufactur...
- Granularly customize input device behavior.
- Mac driver for the Xbox 360 controller.
- For 550/667MHz PowerBook G4.
- Printer driver for the multi-function device.
- Enable Digidesign hardware.
- Scanner drivers.
- For Bamboo, Graphire, Cintiq tablets.
- For HP printers.
- Play games with console controllers on Mac.
- Edit and manage your images.
- For ASIO-compatible apps.
- Update your Apple DVD Player to get optimized DVD playback, Blu...
- Recover deleted pics from digital media.
- Companion for the iPad app that lets you control your Mac or PC...
- Lets you select your boot partition (OS X Server).
- Firmware update for G4 Cube models.
- Driver and software for the multi-function printer.
- Enable HID devices: gamepad, joystick, mice.
- These files will update CD-ROM ToolKit 3.0.1 to 3.0.2.
- Drivers for video capture devices based on Empia 28xx.
- Install most thermal and thermal transfer printers.
- Client/server backup & restore system.