CNET Editors' review
Alkitab Bible Study is a free, open source Bible reference and study aid. It offers multiple viewing options, daily devotionals, a powerful search tool, and extras like plug-ins, as well as the ability to download and install a wide variety of texts, commentaries, dictionaries, concordances, lexicons, and other reference works, many of them time-tested classics. Since it's an open-source project, it grows over time through updates and participation. It's also public domain. Alkitab Bible Study requires Java 6 or better.
Alkitab's installer includes several optional reference books you can select with checkboxes: King James Bible, Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries, Robinson's Morphology, and Institutes. The largest of these is less than 4 MB and the smallest is just over 100 KB, so opting for the extra reference books won't take up much disk space. The books download from an external site, though it's listed so you can check it out. Alkitab includes a Bookshelf, Book Viewer, Book Navigator, and other tools for adding to and managing your library. The left-hand tree view, tabs, and draggable, three-panel interface give Alkitab a familiar feel, while the subtle colors and clear type make it easy to navigate and manage. In fact, it's probably the least confusing tool of its kind we've yet seen. The search tool is handy, as is the ability to rapidly switch between tabbed references or just as quickly access any feature from the tree view's Bookshelf and Navigator tabs. A fine, fully indexed Help file answers all questions, at least those related to Alkitab's workings. Spiritual, textual, historical, and metaphysical questions may or may not be answered by its content!
In Arabic, "Al-Kitab" more or less means "of the Book," i.e., the Bible. Alkitab Bible Study is an excellent tool for daily devotionals and serious biblical scholarship alike. It's one of the best tools of its kind we've seen, and completely free, as the Word should be.
Alkitab is an open source and free desktop bible software. It supports parallel view, commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, glossaries, and daily devotions, with powerful search capability. It features rich and user friendly bible study tools. Alkitab is an alternative front end to the JSword CrossWire project.
What's new in this version: Version 2.9.1:
- Minor bug fixes
- Add Ubuntu Unity support
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Calculate body mass index for women.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Calculate your BMI using a chart.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Calculate body mass index for men.
- Calculate body mass index for children.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"I didn't like it so I have already uninstalled it."
Version: Alkitab Bible Study 2.7
A tool to study the Bible
Very clumsy to use.
Some things just don't work for me.
"Easy install. Not many versions of Bible available."
Version: Alkitab Bible Study 2.7
fast and detailed after you get used to it, nice references and search.
I would like more versions of the Bible, and perhaps some instructions.
"Think E-Sword lite - once files loaded simple to use"
Version: Alkitab Bible Study 2.2
Compact program with most essential public domain books and such. Will install on some machines where other programs won't (JSword). Good for quick searches if you don't want to load a major 500 meg program.
Like E-Sword and other programs it is a slight hassle installing addons. Need more files/books
Takes some getting used to - I used 2.1 and have not run 2.2 but appears to now have more features added. This is worth giving a test run - It is convenient and so I left it loaded and use it for quick searches so I don't have to load my commercial programs.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content