CNET Editors' review
There's something for everyone when it comes to free media players, from complex open-source do-it-alls to supersimple consoles for watching videos and playing MP3s. Goforsharing's Aktiv Player's advantage is a built-in SQL database for organizing and managing even large music collections. Its Dynamic Playlists not only randomize playback but also learn from your preferences to play what you like based on what you've played the most. Aktiv Player also edits tags and exports data. Extras include Net radio, equalizer and crossfader settings, command-line support, and plug-ins.
Aktiv Player's user interface focuses on the program's playlists and music database capabilities instead of its media player controls. With a left sidebar accessing Browse, Playlist, and Dynamic Playlist features and Artist, Album, and File list views, the program's look is hardly unconventional, except for two things: a somewhat garish background color, which can be changed via a color picker, and a sculpted title bar (with the same color) that apparently can't be changed. Neither affected Aktiv Player's performance in any way, but we'd like to see full reskinning, which is practically expected these days, at least among media players. One feature we liked is the ability to rate the tune currently playing by clicking on Aktiv Player's system tray icon and selecting Rate Current. The program includes a miniPlayer plug-in that stays open when the main interface is open, too, instead of toggling between the two. We appreciated the ability to keep the mini player on top while the main window is minimized yet quickly available for editing tags, playlists, and more.
We started by adding tunes to the Music Library. The quickest way is to open the Settings, choose Synchronized Paths, and browse to your music folders; then press Synchronize on the File menu. Aktiv Player does the rest, automatically importing and sorting data into its SQL database. Aktiv Player doesn't move your files! It just lists them. Before Aktiv Player can create Dynamic Playlists, we needed to play some tunes, so we did. All the player functions worked well. Despite the swoopy title bar, Aktiv Player proved a worthy yet lightweight alternative to some way-too-big competitors.
Aktiv Player is a versatile Windows audio player designed to offer music fans the ultimate listening experience and turn the audio files stored on your computer into a well organized music collection. This software is built around an embedded SQL database engine (sqlite). It comes with a customizable interface where explanatory icons displayed on the left guide you through the wide audio experience Aktiv Player has set for you. Aktiv Player does a lot more than just playing tracks--it changes the way you manage and listen to your favorite artists. It's amazingly simply to handle and its ingenious features will actually turn it into your own home jukebox. "Dynamic playlists" enables fully automatic, randomized playback of tracks which your own preferences "educate" which means the more you listen to music, the more loyal to your musical needs it will become. Browsable, user reorderable playlists will also attend to your music related habits. You can easily pause/resume the songs or navigate to the next or previous ones on the playlist and you can also re-randomize the playlist by simply pressing the play button again. The software cal also act as an info source allowing the user to learn details about the album the currently playing song appears on (internet access required).Aktiv Player is filled with a copious amount of features and exceptional functions. The software was created for users who take their music needs seriously. Whether you want an all-around music player to have fun with when at home , with family or friends or you want a well-resourced music player to fire-up a party or social event, is this the application for you. The program offers a built-in net-radio function to keep you connected to the music out there. The diversity and freedom in creating and organizing your playlists is one of the key features of this program as it lets you actually build-up a musical profile out of your collection of songs.
What's new in this version: Version 3.2: coded database updates. Crash fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Catalog & classify audio files.
- Listen to your favourite music with simplicity.
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Organize inventories and create catalogs for virtually any item...
- Add lyrics, translation, and music videos to your Windows Media...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Manage and access your whole library of music and videos.
- Organize your collections in a simple but visually attractive w...
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"It just works like it says."
Version: Aktiv Player 2.9
It is a simple way to access your music and play them. With the built in equalizer it is tweak able. Easy to use.
It take some time to move all your music from computer saves to the program.
All in all it is a well built program.
Version: Aktiv Player 2.9
It does take all your music and list it.
It doesn't do much else.
It makes a library of all your music and tells you how many songs and running time. In my case 88 days. So yeah it handles large librarys. The sound isn't great. The equalizer has no presets but it does have 18 band capability which is cool. So if you do have a lot of tunes and want an organizer this works. And no there aren't any trojans. I don't know what that guy was smoking.
"WARNING! VIRUS ALERT!!"
Version: Aktiv Player 2.0
This software will infect your computer with a Trojan.
My Norton removed the software from my system.
see the above