CNET Editors' review
AVLAN Design describes its AVD Graphic Studio as a "mini Photoshop," acknowledging that Adobe's software is the big dog in the CG yard and that the main goal of competitors is to offer Photoshop-like capabilities in less expensive packages that are easier for ordinary folks to use. At this, AVD Graphic Studio succeeds quite well. It's easy to use, it has most of the basic functionality of the pro-level applications, and it's much less expensive than the big packages like Photoshop.
This program will be familiar if you've used Photoshop or similar applications. Its interface is a bit more sparse, though some might say a bit less cluttered. The interface opens with a nag screen but is otherwise pretty intuitive to get around in, though its fully indexed and searchable Help file is certainly welcome. AVD's features parallel Photoshop's, too, with multiple undos and a wide range of tools. We'd have liked some more brush options, though the Barney Rubble icon for animation is a fun touch. We were disappointed that the program doesn't ask you if you want to save your work when you close a file, which makes it too easy to lose work. Every control we tried with our Wacom pad worked just fine, though.
AVD Graphics Studio is free to try for 20 days. It's specced for Windows 98 to XP, but we tested it in Vista and Windows 7, and it performed perfectly in each. It does most of what most users need in a graphics app, and we recommend it.
From AVLAN Design:
AVD Graphic Studio is a mini Photoshop, offering very similar capabilities at a fraction of the cost. It provides over 20 tools to work with images cropping, resizing, rotating, bump mapping, and histogram equalization. AVD Graphic Studio offers both single and batch image processing options.
More Products to Consider
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Surf the Internet via browser with various features.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Create photo slideshows with music and narration.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- A file searching tool.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.