CNET Editors' review
Stardock Tiles is a program designed to help users organize PC tasks. It's a neat solution for Windows power users who tend to have a large number of applications running at one time or people who work on a large number of projects at one time.
At the top of the application, you will find labels for each page of tiles such as Apps, Web Browsing, and Documents. Drag and drop is fully supported so adding items is easy. We liked that you can even place open applications on the interface by using the Shift key. If a program is not currently active, it will appear as a standard Windows icon. If an application is up and running, it will appear as a live preview tile. Tiles can be used as a program-launching utility program, or used to organize and keep track of current tasks and projects. The one drawback is that since it runs as a sidebar on the desktop, it reduces the size of other windows and some people might not want to sacrifice their desktop space.
Tiles downloads quickly and easily and uninstalls just as quickly and cleanly. While casual users might not have a need for this program, those with a lot going on will appreciate the easy organization that Tiles brings to their desktop.
Stardock Tiles enables users to organize their Windows PC tasks into "pages" of "tiles". Tiles appears as a side-bar on a user's display. At the top, there are labels for each "page" such as "Web Browsing", "Documents" or "Apps". Users can drag and drop programs, documents and website URLs onto their pages. If a program is running, users can hold the shift-key down and drag the app onto Tiles immediately. When a program is inactive, it appears as an icon. When it's active, it appears as a live preview tile.
Tiles can be used as a simple "program launching utility", a tool for uncluttering running tasks or creating specific pages for projects. In addition to the various task functions, Tiles can also be skinned to fit your unique style.
What's new in this version:
- New UI
- Modern UI applications now show in the running applications list
- Option to make a modern UI apps only page
- Frequently run apps is now tweaked to sort better and to handle unicode setups
- Option to recolour metro skin (and default OS skin on Win8),
- Various bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Provide advanced, dockable, highly configurable desktop extensi...
- Maximize your Windows experience with animations and effects.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Make Windows look, feel, and function like any other operating ...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Manage, create, and apply your own Windows sound schemes.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Customize your Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 logon screen.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Display custom messages and flash the Scroll or Num Lock lights...
- Improve performance and customize settings of your Windows Vist...
- Desktop World Clock with world map. Unlimited number of clocks.
- Set your alarm clock and replace your standard tray clock using...
- Improve your mental arithmetic.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Tiles 1.01
This is a great help in managing all my apps and windows on Windows 7. Its quick and easy to find and launch an application and also to see and re-open a minimised Window. I tried several alternatives before deciding on this one. Apps can also be grouped on "pages" so that they are easier to find.
The free version is rather basic and not that useful to me. I purchased the "tiles bundle" for about £7, which transformed this program. It gave me several pages with which to group my apps, a choice of skins, the ability to add the system tray to the bottom of a tile page, and the ability to hide the dock when it is not in use
Great program but you really need to spend £7 or so to make it really effective
"Absolute Desktop Improvement"
Version: Tiles 1.0
Makes the Windows Experience much more immersive
Gives the user a chance to be more interactive and aware of what they are using and how to find it.
Smooth, quick and a big help for power users
A bridge into the Windows 8 world...
You CANNOT authenticate your purchase to upgrade if you are using Windows 8 Consumer Preview
Tech Support is "blase", at best
If you have Windows 7 and you want a cool, quick and reliable tool for application and document management, Tiles is the leader in getting you where you want to go.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content