CNET Editors' review
Lion and Mountain Lion got rid of the sidebar icons and replaced them with a more sophisticated monochrome version. To easily bring the old icons back you can use SideEffects for Mac.
Although it is great that OS X's design is polished with each new release, some people might be missing the classic sidebar icons introduced in the old days of 10.3 Panther. Initially, bringing the colors back using SideEffects for Mac gave us a strange feeling, but after a couple of moments we got used to the colors and also recognized the convenience of easily detecting folders; when you associate a color with a folder, you will need less time to find the desired one. The shared "PC" icon might be something of an eyesore, but overall, it is an improvement to get the familiar colors back. The program is very simple but it does what it promises, and it does it well. In case you change your mind after trying this software, you can easily get rid of it using the uninstaller.
SideEffects for Mac is perfect for longtime users who miss the old icons and find the new ones too dull. It's simple software you can try out and get rid of easily if it's not to your liking.
SideEffects is a once-off installer-based desktop enhancement which enables color icons in the MacOS X 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion Finder Sidebar. SideEffects installs components from two developers and runs scripts to ensure the process is clean. An uninstaller is provided. Combined with the new large icons in Lion / Mountain Lion, customize and let your Sidebar thrive in living color.
What's new in this version: New install script ensures color works after restarting the Mac.
(The issue that a small percentage of users experienced in previous version was due to EasySIMBL's incorrect setting in the com.apple.launchd.peruser.501. This version fixes that.)
More Products to Consider
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Set a different desktop picture for each Space.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Menu bar extension like the classic Apple menu.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Customize the appearance and behavior of your Mac.
- Menu extras: CPU, disk, memory & network monitoring.
- Makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of...
- Icon and Dock cataloging and customization.
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Icon library maker and icon conversion tool, supporting both Ma...
- Appearance editor for Safari.
- Checks pixel values at certain points & more.
- Make your desktop unique with colorful icons.
- Forces windows to be full screen when you click the green butto...
- Icon creator for OS X icons.
- Tweaks for the trackpad that make it easier to select text and ...
- Decorate your folders with a flowery images.
- Icon creator for OS X icons.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Return of the Mac..."
Version: SideEffects 1.8.7
1.8.7 was a much needed upgrade.
Adds much needed graphics to sidebar.
Future upgrades should include the ability to use customized icons.
The uninstall feature should include a dialog box.
Allows one to fall in love with their Mac again. Apple should consult with creative people such as the SideEffects author about dealing with the human side of personal computing since it has always been about people. I'm not sure why such a company would sustain such a cold and bleak perspective towards those of us who originally fell in love with the idea of thinking differently.
One might have to relaunch to affect the change.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content