CNET Editors' review
OmniDazzle for Mac offers a set of desktop enhancements that include visual effects for aiding in presentations or just having a little fun while sitting at your computer. Even though most effects work well, some are a bit glitchy.
Installation was the regular matter of downloading and copying to the Applications folder. When we launched the app the first time, it brought us right to the help screen, which offered a good breakdown of what the app does and how to use it. OmniDazzle for Mac only allows one effect to be active at any time, so we selected our first one--Pixie Dust--by pressing the associated hot key combination. The controls for each effect are explained well and easily reconfigured. We cycled through each effect and tested them out. There are some useful tools for presentations, like Scribble, which allows for drawing on the screen, and Focal Point, which highlights an active window or just an area around the mouse. Most of the tools are just for fun, though, such as the ability to flash a Batman-style "sound effect" on the screen like "POW!" or to overlay a Sonar, which is used to locate the mouse pointer. We found a few of the effects to be glitchy in their application, causing odd flashes and remnant pixels to remain on the screen until the effect was deactivated.
It's a mixed bag of tricks, but OmniDazzle for Mac could very well have staying power for those with the need to add a little visual fun to presentations.
From The Omni Group:
OmniDazzle is a set of fun and useful enhancements that help you highlight certain areas of your screen, create special effects, and track the location of your mouse pointer. Each plug-in can be configured to suit your own particular preferences: change colors, make objects bigger or smaller, or change the way you activate the OmniDazzle plug-in of your choice. By allowing you to manipulate your screen, OmniDazzle offers practical features for doing presentations, taking screen shots, focusing on specific tasks, and adding visual information to your desktop. This one might just eat your productivity for the entire day as you stare mesmerized at the, ahem, dazzling pixie dust cascading down your screen. Pixie Dust turns your mouse pointer into a virtual magic wand creating a spray of colorful sparkles wherever it goes. You can change your pixie dust to include only a few tiny sprinkles, or turn it into a giant firehose of awesomeness. The color range is up to you, too. Illuminate your screen with a virtual flashlight that follows your mouse pointer wherever you want it to go. When triggered, Flashlight dims your background and turns your pointer into a helpful, shining beacon that lights your way. You control the size and quality of the light, the color, and the background. This allows you to highlight areas of your screen using different shapes. Pick a shape (circle, ellipse, rectangle, or window border) to start, then move your mouse to control the size of the shape. Watch and be captivated as everything outside your selection dims. This one's great for guiding an audience during a presentation, or creating an awesomely instructive screenshot ("then click THIS button RIGHT HERE"). You can customize borders, dimness, and fill.
What's new in this version:
New in this release
- OmniDazzle now requires Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" to run.
- We fixed a few compatibility problems with "Waves" and "Zoom" (especially noticeable on Lion).
- We fixed a few more Mountain Lion compatibility problems.
- OmniDazzle will run in 64-bit mode if possible.
- OmniDazzle has a new application icon!
- Dazzle may crash when a display is removed or reconfigured. ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- White board presentation tool works in any app.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Extend the Dock and get window previews whenever you hover your...
- Widget displays Amazon's lightning deals.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Full-featured native web browser.
- Make the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of ...
- Quickly clear out unused files.
- Keyboard tool that lets you "click" buttons and control your ap...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Personal task management.
- Tool to instantly print the entire screen.
- Executes a list of programs after a time delay.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Control your cursor with your keyboard; for diehard keyboard wa...
- Get an Dashboard styled clock for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: