CNET Editors' reviewEfficient and almost watertight, this Internet-filtering application helps put proper barriers on Web surfing at home or in a small business. ContentProtect is highly customizable, and able to block access to Internet sites that span a wide range of content, from job search engines or Web mail, to pornography or pop-ups. The program's pop-up blocker is effective. You can program blacklists and whitelists (banned sites and approved sites, respectively). A reporting feature is a useful tool and is effective in keeping track of the program's blocking success and attempts at site retrieval. The program is adequately protected by an administrator password, and couldn't be uninstalled (no matter how hard we tried during testing) with any current applications. Although a few banned sites got through its defenses during testing, overall ContentProtect is a robust filtering application that should keep surfing clean.
Net Nanny is a powerful, yet simple to install parental control and internet safety solution that helps parents protect their children and monitor their Internet use. More than an Internet Filter, it is peace of mind. The latest installment of Net Nanny included some of the top customer requested features, especially around social networking, filter accuracy and circumvention. Although there are still plenty of new and exciting features on horizon, this latest release demonstrates Net Nanny's ability to beat the competition and give you the features you need to protect your family while online. In addition to receiving Top Ten Review's Gold Award for the 6th year in a row, Net Nanny once again, received PC Magazine's Editors' Choice for Internet parental control software for the third time in a row.
What's new in this version: Version 6.5 features Social Networking, Profanity Masking and Proxy Guard.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Limit children's access to objectionable Web sites.
- Protect your PC in real time from malware & spyware.
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect your family online, block harmful content, and control ...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Add parental controls to your kids' Web surfing and messaging.
- Control your children's Internet activity and protect them from...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Limit and monitor your children's Internet activity and protect...
- Protect your family from harmful online content and contact wit...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Block adult contents and monitor all computer activities.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Provide content filtering Internet proxy server.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect your computer from malware of all kind as well as from ...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Control Web access and removable media devices on your PC.
- Monitor and protect your child from offensive Web sites.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 21 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 4 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"This software is abysmal!"
Version: Net Nanny 6.5
I can't get past the cons
TOO MANY CONS to list, but here's a start (We've had NN for at least 3 years):
- when I allow kids to use facebook, they still CAN'T use it. My only option is to completely disable Net Nanny. So what the _____ is the point of having it!?!?
- it's SO intrusive and in your face
- when you allow a website that calls out to other domains for ads, those still get in your face. SO ANNOYING!
- The company never updates their software, never seems to improve
- Every time I try to get a simple report of what people have been looking at on the web, it tells me I need Flash 8 to view it. Then it lets me view it anyway. It wouldn't be so annoying if FLASH 11 WASN'T THE CURRENT VERSION!
- I could go on. Just don't get it.
Terrible. And I've tried to stick with it for THREE YEARS thinking they would improve things.
"By far the best parental control software in the market"
Version: Net Nanny 6.5
- Netnanny locks the SafeSearch on most websites including YouTube and Google which is the best feature ever. This feature is good because some kids could use an inappropriate keyword and then turn safe search 'off' and view porn through Google images but Net Nanny doesn't allow that. Net Nanny blocked all the loop holes.
- Net Nanny has plenty of features and options to choose from; it has all the features that a parental control should have
- You have the option to censor profanity
- You have the option for time control
- You have the option to block not only porn but other adult websites.
- They have a website were you could add brand new websites that should be blocked: www.netnanny.com/support/accuracy
- Net Nanny staff respond to all my emails
- price of the Net Nanny parental control software is not bad but it worth every penny
- Sometimes Net Nanny automatically unlocks safe search of Google images which is rare. I emailed Net Nanny and they said I'm the only person who has this problem. They said it might be an extensions or add-ons of my browser that may interfere with Net Nanny. I usually fix the problem by completely closing my browser or restarting the computer.
Net Nanny is by far the best parental control software in the market. I recommend Net Nanny ( version: 188.8.131.52) and newer to parents who want to block pornography and other inappropriate websites because based on my tests Net Nanny is by far the best parental control software in the market
"Seems like a great program, hassle to remove from PC."
Version: Net Nanny 6.5
Looks like a capable monitoring program.
Was extremely difficult to get off computer. Had to due system restore.
"Great at monitoring social networks and alerting me..."
Version: Net Nanny 6.5
- lots of features
- easy to setup
- works well
- gives a ton of peace of mind
- it's not free
- it blocks a lot of facebook pages because of on page vulgarity... makes it hard to navigate facebook without deactivating the filter (guess I could change the facebook setting though)
If you want to set up safeguards for your family then I'd recommend this software. While it does have great parental control tools, it is still necessary to talk to your kids and let them know what/why you're putting Net Nanny on the computer.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: