CNET Editors' review
MediaMonkey Standard offers plenty of ways to enjoy your favorite tunes, but its default layout isn't very easy on the eyes. Luckily, you can customize that and just about every other inch of this powerful music player. That, combined with the built-in streaming radio and other nifty features, make it one of the best free media players on the market.
The program makes you click through a ton of pop-up windows -- including several administration permission windows -- while it's installing. The program, itself, is worth the wait for most music fans, though. It has neat features like tabbed playlists and party mode that make it easy to play your music, however you want. In addition to collecting music already on your computer, MediaMonkey Standard will search for music on any connected drives. It supports most streaming radio, as well. The program has an active community of coders and tinkerers behind it that have made lots of custom skins and tweaks you can add to the player. That's handy because the program, itself, looks a little bland. There is a gold version that unlocks more goodies, a fact you'll know with any usage of the player because it will constantly remind you that you can get it by paying or by completing special deals.
Don't be bothered by the program's mediocre layout -- it's housing one of the best media players we've tried and you can easily change the looks to suit your preferences.MediaMonkey Standard - Manage large media collections - Download Video Previews:
From Ventis Media:
MediaMonkey is the media manager for serious collectors. It catalogs audio and video files, whether they're located on a hard drive or network, dividing them into different 'collections' (e.g. contemporary, classical music, audiobooks, home movies, tv, videos, etc).
It looks up and tags Album Art and data via Freedb and the web, includes an automatic renamer to rename and organize files, and a playlist manager to arrange your mixes. It includes a CD ripper, podcast manager, and downloader to build your library, along with a CD/DVD Burner, UPnP / DLNA server, and sync manager to share it. With built-in conversion functionality, it syncs with almost any device including Android, iPhone, iPod, and other devices, as well as a variety of televisions and DVD players (via DLNA).
Its player automatically adjusts volume levels and supports a Party mode that locks the UI for use at public events. Most importantly, it supports hundreds of scripts, plug-ins and visualizations to further customize it to meet your needs.
*Supports MP3, OGG, WMA, FLAC, MPC, WAV, CDs, M3U, PLS, AVI, MP4, WMV etc.
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.1992 is a major update that adds wireless synchronization with MediaMonkey for Android, bi-directional synchronization, and ability to sync with iOS 7 devices. It also adds improved metadata lookup for lyrics and Album Art, improved UPnP/DLNA services including per-client format conversion, indexed browsing, UPnP renderer / controller functions, and the ability to run as a service. Lastly it has a new default skin and over 300 other fixes and improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Lookup a song's tags and/or album art.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Tag or rename large amounts of MP3 files on both Windows and Li...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Browse, catalog, and burn your collection of audio files.
- Play MP3/WAV/FLAC/CD, record audio, manage sounds and music.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Rename, tag, and create playlists of your MP3s.
- Manage your archive with movies.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Manage local music files, listen to Internet radio, and surf th...
- Play, edit, convert and manage audio files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Keep all your confidential info secure & encrypted in one place...
- Rename music files using tag information, edit tags, find infor...
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your home theater movie files.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1,323 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Ok, If You Want To Pay!"
Version: MediaMonkey Standard 188.8.131.522
This has a nice GUI. It doesn't seem to have any major bugs. Not a major learning curve compared to some. The sound is pretty good. Has alot of configuration options.
It's slow and resource hungry. You have to pay to get options better freeware has natively. Really can't compare it's sonic ally to Jriver, Foobar, MusicBee, Winamp etc... Ads, Ads, Ads to upgrade and when you do upgrade you finally get a fully functional player. Only good if you pay!
I gave this a fair shot and really can't see why anybody would choose this over so many truly free player/organizers out there. It just doesn't seem to justify it's price...IMHO. Listen to it and then listen to say WMP. Does the Price justify itself? Not hardly!! To each their own, but I wouldn't own this. Just my 2 cents.