CNET Editors' review
Using your e-mail address and password makes remembering your security log-in for this encryption app easy. The tool also makes it easy to share encrypted files with other users through their e-mail accounts. However, using that e-mail information may make some users shy away from this app. Although simplicity is a good thing, simplicity paired with security doesn't always lead a user to be confident about the strength of the alleged security that's being promoted.
LockMagic launches its Web site at installation. From there, you open your free account and access its online users' manual by entering your Internet e-mail address and password. Although the Web page says, "This site does not read nor write your contacts information and uses this information for the sole purpose to determine your e-mail address," some security-conscious users may not be comfortable accessing an encryption service by providing that info, no matter what its Web site states.
This free tool worked very well in our tests, launching a small, user-friendly dialog box when we right-clicked on a filename from Windows Explorer. It was a quick process to configure a secure work space and files were automatically encrypted when they were saved to that area. We liked that using our e-mail address made accessing encryption processes so easy; on the other hand, we also were a little wary of that method, because e-mail accounts are notorious for being spammed and hacked. However, LockMagic's methods made encrypting files, securing them to flash drives and other mobile devices, and e-mailing them to other users a very simple matter. We also liked that we could use the right-click menu to encrypt a file and save it to a folder, store it in the clipboard, e-mail it to another user, or save it to the automatically encrypting LockMagic workspace.
If you're comfortable using your e-mail log-in information, this encryption tool works quickly and is simple to use. Recommended for intermediate users and above.
LockMagic enables users to access and share encrypted files using email addresses - no passwords to remember or to write down. You don't have to change the way you work, protect your files through LockMagic and they are automatically compressed and encrypted. Best of all, you can always use your existing email address and password to open them from anywhere. Use Gmail, Live ID, or Open ID (Yahoo, AOL, Verisign, MyOpenId) email addresses to share and protect encrypted files. Encrypt your email attachments or create encrypted files and backups stored anywhere - flash drive, online email or network shares.
What's new in this version: In version6.0 Outlook 2007 and 2003 plugin has been added to the free version of LockMagic 6 and encrypted content can be shared using html web files for easy of use and allows users without lockmagic to open to open any encrypted file or e-mail message via our MyLiveKey web service.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Download and manage torrent files.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Capture, organize and share notes.
- Email plug-in insures intended attachments are included with th...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Get a file transfer application.